Re: [mythsoc] Mythprint question

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 25, 2011
      Hi, John,

      Sure, we could review that — at least, in theory. I don't discriminate against self-published works, or electronic versus print books. The only challenge might be getting someone willing to do it. Not everyone likes reading e-books, and not everyone likes self-published (or unpublished) books either. But if someone is willing, I wouldn't object to running it in Mythprint. Feel free to send me a copy, if you can do so as a PDF or something similarly machine-agnostic, and I'll add it to the list of book available for review (noting it as electronic). If it can only be on a Kindle, I don't know exactly how we'd get it to a reviewer. I don't have a Kindle and don't really know anything about how e-readers work. I we get a volunteer, perhaps you can advise or assist.

      And since this reply is public, let this stand as an open invitation to anyone out there who might be interested in reviewing John's new book for Mythprint. If you'd like to do so, please drop me a line at mythprint@....

      Jase

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 25, 2011
        I know a number of MythSoc people have Kindles, and some iPad users have the Kindle app so they can read that format as well.  (The app is also available for iPhone so you can read Kindle books on an iPhone.)

        I have a Sony and prefer epub files (although PDF works, too).

        John, if you told us a little more about your book, maybe someone would be interested.  Type of fantasy?  Length?  (I don't go in for the long epics myself.  I'm more of a contemporary urban fantasy type, preferably under 400 pages.)  Maybe give us a snapshot of it - just a few lines describing it.  And for those of us a little more prudish, if it gets somewhat graphic, a warning would be appropriate.  Thanks!

        Berni Phillips Bratman

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 26, 2011

          Hi Jase,

          I believe that the Kindle app can be installed for free on PC, MAC, iPad, etc. Or at least, it gave me that option when I put the book up on Amazon, anyway.

          And I entirely understand peoples' hesitation to read self-published works - I often feel the same myself, hypocritically as it now turns out! If it helps any, I do write for a living, albeit in the gaming industry.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 26, 2011
            Hi Berni,

            The book is what I suppose these days is called urban (real-world) fantasy, though in this case it is more 'rural fantasy'. There are scenes of violence, but I'd rate them PG12 rather than 18! Length 100,000 words. So longish for an urban fantasy, short compared to high fantasy epics!

            Here's the first bit of the blurb:
            Evie is a loner, preferring the solitude of the moors to anything that civilization has to offer. She is also, she discovers as the beast awakens in her, a werewolf, not bitten but born that way, a fact which makes her unique. But she is not the only wild thing on the moors. For the Huntsman, Master of the Chase that roams across lands and worlds, seeks to claim Evie for his pack, and his coming will tear down the veils that separate this world from others, bringing chaos and destruction...
            The rest can be found on Amazon (Fell Runner; John Davis) if you are interested.

            And now I've probably taken up more than enough of the list's time with shameless self-promotion. So many thanks for your tolerance!

            John

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 26, 2011
              Hi John,

              One more question, and then we'll let you off the self-promotion hook! :) Are you looking at selling through Barnes and Noble, Fictionwise, or any of the other available mediums? (I have two books available on http://www.drivethrufantasy.com, and I know they're a pleasure to work with if you want contact info for them.) Despite kindle books being readable on most devices, they're not readable from my dedicated e-reader (a nook from B&N), so having multiple options for sale could be helpful in gaining readers like me! I know that amazon doesn't have an "us only" clause in at least one of their options, as several of my author friends have e-books available on Kindle, at B&N, and through other sources.

              Hope you'll consider it, because it sounds like something I'd enjoy reading. :)

              -Alana

              On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 4:44 AM, John Davis <john@...> wrote:

[...]

              Author of Into the Reach and Departure, available at http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks

            • John Davis
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 26, 2011
                Hi Alana,

                Thanks for that. No, it hadn't occurred to me to put it on an e-reader, as I didn't know dedicated e-reader devices existed! (I have my e-reader software on my PC). But now I do, I'll certainly look into it.

                Thanks,

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 26, 2011
                  "Alana Joli Abbott" <alanajoli@...> wrote:

                  > Despite kindle books being readable on
                  > most devices, they're not readable from my dedicated e-reader (a nook from
                  > B&N),

                  I'm a little bit puzzled by this. The Nook is not a "dedicated" e-reader
                  but an open-format one, which can read epub, which is the standard
                  interchangeable format for most e-readers that are not the Kindle, as well
                  as pdfs and Word files. It was the original Kindle which was infamous for
                  not reading anything but Kindle files, though I understand subsequent
                  generations have expanded on this, and there are now Kindle apps for reading
                  Kindle format on other devices. But you still have to get the app. You
                  don't need a Nook-specific app to read Nook files elsewhere, because there
                  is no Nook format, there's only epub.
                • Alana Joli Abbott
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 26, 2011
                    Sorry, David. I was using "dedicated e-reader" in this context to mean "my device that only reads e-books," as compared to a tabled PC or an iPad. Kindles certainly can read most open-source files at this point, as well (though I believe they still don't read ePub files).

                    I *think* that B&N actually sells books in the pdb format, rather than ePub, but I also can't figure out how to get B&N-purchased e-books to let me open them in a non nook-app program. (I actually can't figure out where the files are downloaded to after I purchase them from B&N, and this after about ten minutes of poking around and doing a google search to try to get a clue from someone else.) Someone tech-savvier than me probably can, of course!

                    -Alana

                  • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 26, 2011
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 26, 2011
                        Joan--

                        Did you copy this to me by mistake? I don't see his original query...
                        --
                        Edith Crowe, Corresponding Secretary
                        The Mythopoeic Society

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 26, 2011
                          Edith, if you check below, you'll see his original query, which I was
                          responding to. (In particular, the discussion was on his e-publishing, and e-
                          publishing to formats other than/in addition to Kindle. Also, previous
                          discussions asked where and in which formats his ebook could be found.) Joan

                          > Did you copy this to me by mistake? I don't see his original query...
                          > --
                          > Edith Crowe, Corresponding Secretary
                          > The Mythopoeic Society
                          > http://www.mythsoc.org | correspondence@...