Re: [mythsoc] Re: Authors at Mythcon

  • Doug Kane
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 3, 2011
      I'll have some copies of the new paperback of Arda Reconstructed to sign, if anyone is interested.

      Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2011 10:59 AM
      Subject: [mythsoc] Re: Authors at Mythcon

      Wendell--

      Thanks for posting this list. I had that on my To-Do list in the next few days. So, I appreciate you crossing off for me one of way too many things on my list!

      I have only a few to remove from your list, who will be unable to attend this year for last minute, but very understandable reasons. So, unfortunately, the following people will not be attending Mythcon this year:
      Jason Fisher
      Merlin DeTardo
      Mike Foster

      People on this list may also wish to add the following New Mexico artist presenters to the list, as most of these (all, maybe?) have published works:
      Jeff Benham
      Aaron Campbell
      Shawn Darling
      Andy Kuhn
      Shirl Sazynsk

      Looking forward to seeing many of you soon at Mythcon! A preview of Mythcon with a brief schedule will be on the MythSoc website soon!

      Leslie Donovan

      > By my accounting, this is the list of
      authors at Mythcon. I'm counting
      > anyone who has published something in
      a book or magazine relevant to the
      > interests of the Mythopoeic Society.
      I am not including anyone whose only such
      > publication was in a Society
      periodical (since that would mean listing
      > most of the people at
      Mythcon). This is for the convenience of me or anyone
      > else planning to
      bring books to be autographed. Are there any changes that
      > you know
      of?:

      > Catherynne Valente
      > Michael Drout
      > Daniel
      Abraham
      > Verlyn Flieger
      > Doug Kane
      > David Bratman

      Joe Christopher
      > Marek Oziewicz
      > Ty Franck (James Corey)

      Melinda Snodgrass
      > Jane Lindskold
      > Leslie Stratyner
      > Ian
      Tregillis
      > Robert E. Vardeman
      > Carrie Vaughn
      > Janet
      Croft
      > Donald Williams
      > Don King
      > Susan Palwick

      Arden Smith

      > Jason Fisher
      > Christopher Gilson

      Merlin DeTardo

      > Leslie Donovan
      > Mike Foster
      > David
      Oberhelman
      > Melody Green
      >

      > Wendell
      Wagner

      No virus found in this message.

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 7, 2012
        The following is my usual annual list of people at Mythcon this year who have ever published a book or article relevant to the Mythopoeic Society's broad interests, not counting those whose only publications are in the Society's journals.  This is to give me and anyone else who might be interested information about what books or magazines to bring along for autographing.  I specify that they are relevant to the Society's interests because, although I'm happy that you published a textbook on oceanography or on Renaissance art history, I don't think I will get a copy of it just because you wrote it.  I'm not including articles in the Society's journals because the list would then be most of the Mythcon attendees if I included such articles.  By the Society's broad interests I mean fiction or nonfiction about fantasy, mythology, science fiction, horror, or the Inklings.  I got these names by combing through announcements of the attendees and guests at this year's Mythcon.  If there are any additions or deletions, please post them to this mailing list.

        Wendell Wagner

        *****************************************************************************************************************************

        G. Ronald Murphy
        Malinda Lo
        Sherwood Smith
        Janet Croft
        Richard Lupoff
        Diane Paxson
        Susan Palwick
        Donald Williams
        Leslie Donovan
        David Bratman
        Joe Christopher
        Jason Fisher
        Christopher Gilson
        Carl Hostetter
        Arden Smith
      • James Curcio
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 7, 2012

          Http://iom.weaponized.net would fall under that list but I don't think I'll be making any physical conferences this summer, i'm holed up working on 2 books & a graphic novel, blah blah.

          Best to all

        • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 7, 2012
            My name may not be on the "Attending" list yet, but I will be there. So
            I'd qualify, between THE SCRIBBLER'S GUIDE TO THE LAND OF MYTH , and
            "Robin Hood and Green Arrow: Outlaw Bowmen in the Modern Urban Landscape",
            (presented at the 1st International Conference of Robin Hood Studies;
            Rochester, New York; October 1997; published in Robin Hood in Popular
            Culture, edited by Thomas Hahn, 2000).

            Because the rest has been published in MYTHLORE.

            Best, Sarah Beach

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 7, 2012
              Additional authors at Mythcon:

              Marie Brennan
              Tim Callahan
              Alexis E. Fajardo (Kid Beowulf)
              Valerie Estelle Frankel
              Lisa Goldstein
              Rosamund Hodge

              - Mythcon programming dept.

              > The following is my usual annual list of people at Mythcon this year who
              > have ever published a book or article relevant to the Mythopoeic Society's
              > broad interests, not counting those whose only publications are in the
              > Society's journals. This is to give me and anyone else who might be
              > interested
              > information about what books or magazines to bring along for
              > autographing.
              > I specify that they are relevant to the Society's interests because,
              > although I'm happy that you published a textbook on oceanography or on
              > Renaissance art history, I don't think I will get a copy of it just
              > because you
              > wrote it. I'm not including articles in the Society's journals because
              > the
              > list would then be most of the Mythcon attendees if I included such
              > articles.
              > By the Society's broad interests I mean fiction or nonfiction about
              > fantasy, mythology, science fiction, horror, or the Inklings. I got
              > these names
              > by combing through announcements of the attendees and guests at this
              > year's
              > Mythcon. If there are any additions or deletions, please post them to
              > this mailing list.
              >
              > Wendell Wagner

              > G. Ronald Murphy
              > Malinda Lo
              > Sherwood Smith
              > Janet Croft
              > Richard Lupoff
              > Diane Paxson
              > Susan Palwick
              > Donald Williams
              > Leslie Donovan
              > David Bratman
              > Joe Christopher
              > Jason Fisher
              > Christopher Gilson
              > Carl Hostetter
              > Arden Smith
            • Doug Kane
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 9, 2012
                I will likely be there, at least part of the weekend, and I guess I qualify.

                Doug Kane

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 10, 2012
                  Any chance at all that Zilpha Keatley Snyder might attend? I remember that she did attend the Berkley Mythcon that was held just before the LotR movies came out.
                  Mem

                  ___________________________________
                  Sent using PCI Broadband webmail
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 10, 2012
                    Although she did attend one Mythcon, she declined an invitation to the following local Mythcon in terms that made it unlikely that she would respond positively to further invitations. Because of our special theme this year and the focus of our panels, our combing of outside authors has been lighter than in the past.

                    David Bratman
                    Mythcon 43 programming

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 11, 2012
                      Thank you for letting me know, David. Meeting her, and hearing her speak, was the highlight of that Mythcon for me and an all around memorable experience.
                      Mem

                    • wendell_wagner
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 3 7:26 PM
                        As usual, I'm putting together a list of all the authors at Mythcon for the use of anyone who wants to get signatures on books or articles.  This is anyone who has published an article (not in a Mythopoeic publication) or a book connected with fantasy, science fiction, horror, and the Inklings.  This doesn't include publications about other subjects, since I want to limit the list.  It doesn't include authors of things in Mythopoeic publications, since that would include far too many of the people who are coming.  I'm using the list of attendees in P.R. 2 as my guide, but that may miss some people.

                        Wendell Wagner

                        Please post to this mailing list if there are corrections to be made to the following list:

                        Bratman, David
                        Christopher, Joe R.
                        Croft, Janet Brennan
                        Donovan, Leslie
                        Drout, Michael D.C.
                        Flieger, Verlyn
                        Hostetter, Carl
                        Olsen, Corey
                        Vernon, Ursula
                        West, Richard C.
                        Williams, Donald
                      • James Curcio
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 3 8:22 PM

                          When is mythcon? I need to put together my itinerary for Party at the World's End, which would be very myth con relevant now that i think of it... Slipped my mind sadly

                          Take A Trip Past The Event Horizon of Sanity:
                          http://www.PartyAtTheWorldsEnd.com
                          Sept 2014

                          On Aug 3, 2014 10:26 PM, "WendellWag@... [mythsoc]" <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

                        • Alana Joli Abbott
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 3 8:25 PM
                            Wendell,

                            I will be there on Sunday -- not that I suspect anyone has old print copies of my books! I do have two fantasy novels out, which are now primarily available as e-books. The third is forthcoming and was funded via Kickstarter.

                            -Alana

                            Author of "The Redemption Trilogy" http://tinyurl.com/aja-redemption
                            Author of apps Choice of Kung Fu and Showdown at Willow Creek http://tinyurl.com/aja-cog
                            Contributor to Tales of Rosuto Shima http://tinyurl.com/aja-talesrs
                          • David Emerson
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 4 7:11 AM
                              It's this weekend, James.

                              http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon/mythcon-45/

                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 4 9:54 AM
                                  Unfortunately, I will not be able to be at Mythcon this year. I had to cancel, but will miss seeing everyone!

                                  Leslie

                                  Leslie A. Donovan
                                  Full Professor, Honors College
                                  UNM Presidential Teaching Fellow