Re: [mythsoc] Quick take on Lord Dunsany?

    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 2, 2011
      "dale nelson" <extollager2006@...> wrote:

      >I appreciate the statement because it could prompt me to think some more
      >about Dunsany's achievement (in some moods I'm inclined to think of him
      >as basically a very productive and inventive confectioner, sort of for high
      >fantasy what Paul McCartney's been for popular music).

      Wow - I'd consider that comparison to be seriously imperceptive of both
      Dunsany _and_ McCartney. But I don't want to argue the point; this is just
      to observe how much perceptions differ. If you want to write a polemic
      article on Dunsany's place in the fantasy canon, by all means go ahead and
      expound your views in detail. But if you just want to make an incidental
      point that Dunsany is important, declarations of his supreme greatness, or
      anything else, will only distract readers from what you're otherwise saying.
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 8, 2011
        To back up this assertion, you might want to quote what Michael Dirda says in his new book On Conan Doyle.  Dirda is generally considered one of the best current book critics (and, incidentally, was a guest at Mythcon 25).  Dirda says, "What Conan Doyle is to the detective story, Dunsany is to the modern fantasy: the Master."

        Wendell Wagner

        In a message dated 6/28/2011 10:43:30 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, extollager2006@... writes:

        Would anyone care to question this assertion, that Lord Dunsany was the greatest British writer of fantasy for adults during the period between the end of the Victorian era and the Thirties?

        I'm deliberately not defining "greatest," although for some that may make the statement almost meaningless.

        The assertion implies that Dunsany's eight or so collections of fantasies and The King of Elfland's Daughter etc. comprise a "greater" achievement than that of E. R. Eddison, William Hope Hodgson, Hope Mirrlees, David Lindsay, and others who published major works such as The Worm Ouroboros, The Night Land, Lud-in-the-Mist, and A Voyage to Arcturus in that period.

        I'm asking because in a short piece I have drafted for Beyond Bree I make this claim, but there's probably time for me to change it if need be.  Conversely, if the statement seems right to you, I'd be happy to know that too.

        Dale Nelson

      • Mem Morman

          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 8, 2011
            I am forever grateful to Lin Carter for his republishing the authors Dale listed in the
            original run of the Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series. I still have those editions on my
            bookshelves forty years later.

            Bill

            On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 5:56 AM, <WendellWag@...> wrote:

[...]

          • John Rateliff
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 8, 2011
              I think the quote from Dirda sums it up in a nutshell. Dunsany was best, and the most influential, writer of fantasy in the first half of the twentieth century.* The quality and significance of his achievement gets overlooked because of his long twilight: the fact he kept writing long after he'd lost the spark. Doyle is luckier in that most overlook the eccentricities (and indeed sheer weirdness) of his final quarter-century and judge him on his earlier work.
                --John R.

              *in English at least.