Re: [mythsoc] NPR is taking a vote on the 5 best science fiction/fantasy novels

  • Doug Kane
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 22, 2011
      And, of course, they perpetuate the myth that The Lord of the Rings is a trilogy rather than a single story (with six parts, somewhat misleadingly called "books"), that was published in three volumes purely for business reasons, with the statement "Feel free to nominate a series — such as Tolkien's Lord of the Rings or Asimov's Foundation — as a single, collective work rather than listing individual books."

      Grrr.

      Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 10:34 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] NPR is taking a vote on the 5 best science fiction/fantasy novels

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 22, 2011
        Actually, you can nominate as many as you want but only 5 per posting. So I listed 20
         on 4 different postings. And since they allow you to choose whole series or trilogies, I actually nominated more than 20: the LoTR trilogy. the Foundation trilogy, the Earthsea trilogy, etc.

        Bill West