Re: [mythsoc] Ralph and Tumulty 2 Names

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 20, 2011
      Or to pick an example that's more well known (at least to me it is), the actor Ralph Fiennes pronounces it /Rafe/.

      Wendell

      In a message dated 6/19/2011 10:27:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, extollager2006@... writes:
      1.We pronounce composer Vaughan Williams's first name, Ralph, as Rafe.
    • dale nelson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 20, 2011
        John, that about the medieval pronunciation suffices: Morris's hero shall be "Rafe" to me.

        Dale Nelson

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 21, 2011
          "dale nelson" <extollager2006@...> wrote:

          > 1.We pronounce composer Vaughan Williams's first name, Ralph, as Rafe. So
          > the
          > hero of William Morris's The Well at the World's End: Pronounce it "ralph"
          > or
          > "rafe"? Can anyone settle that question? I always heard it as "ralph,"
          > but I
          > wonder if Morris did.

          I understand that "Rafe" is the standard English pronunciation, at least
          before Americanisms infected the language. I've always assumed Morris's
          hero was Rafe.

          By the way, not everybody knows how to pronounce RVW's first name, and among
          those who don't was the pre-concert lecturer at a performance of "A Sea
          Symphony" I recently attended. I wanted to make a big sign reading "IT'S
          PRONOUNCED 'RAFE'" and hold it up.

          > 2.I had assumed Charles Williams invented the last name of his villain in
          > War in
          > Heaven and Many Dimensions, Giles Tumulty. But recently I learned that
          > Woodrow
          > Wilson's secretary was named Joe Tumulty. So it's a real name; and I
          > suppose it
          > is even possible that CW saw the secretary's name and relished its
          > appropriateness for a bad guy.

          If it's an existing name, CW could easily have seen it somewhere else too.
          Absent further evidence, I rate this scenario even less likely than the idea
          that Tolkien was inspired by Theodore "The Man" Bilbo.