Ralph and Tumulty 2 Names

  • dale nelson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 19, 2011
      Hello all!

      1.We pronounce composer Vaughan Williams's first name, Ralph, as Rafe.  So the hero of William Morris's The Well at the World's End: Pronounce it "ralph" or "rafe"?   Can anyone settle that question?  I always heard it as "ralph," but I wonder if Morris did.

      Jokes about Coleridge's "Afe the Sacred River" may be dispensed with.

      2.I had assumed Charles Williams invented the last name of his villain in War in Heaven and Many Dimensions, Giles Tumulty.  But recently I learned that Woodrow Wilson's secretary was named Joe Tumulty.  So it's a real name; and I suppose it is even possible that CW saw the secretary's name and relished its appropriateness for a bad guy.

      Dale
    • Margaret Dean
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 19, 2011
        On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 8:27 PM, dale nelson <extollager2006@...> wrote:

        > 2.I had assumed Charles Williams invented the last name of his villain in War in Heaven and Many Dimensions, Giles Tumulty.  But recently I learned that Woodrow Wilson's secretary was named Joe Tumulty.  So it's a real name; and I suppose it is even possible that CW saw the secretary's name and relished its appropriateness for a bad guy.

        One of the frequent panelists on PBS's "Washington Week" is Karen Tumulty.

        --Margaret Dean
        <margdean56@...>
      • John Rateliff

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 20, 2011
            Or to pick an example that's more well known (at least to me it is), the actor Ralph Fiennes pronounces it /Rafe/.

            Wendell

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 20, 2011
              John, that about the medieval pronunciation suffices: Morris's hero shall be "Rafe" to me.

              Dale Nelson

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 21, 2011
                "dale nelson" <extollager2006@...> wrote:

                > 1.We pronounce composer Vaughan Williams's first name, Ralph, as Rafe. So
                > the
                > hero of William Morris's The Well at the World's End: Pronounce it "ralph"
                > or
                > "rafe"? Can anyone settle that question? I always heard it as "ralph,"
                > but I
                > wonder if Morris did.

                I understand that "Rafe" is the standard English pronunciation, at least
                before Americanisms infected the language. I've always assumed Morris's
                hero was Rafe.

                By the way, not everybody knows how to pronounce RVW's first name, and among
                those who don't was the pre-concert lecturer at a performance of "A Sea
                Symphony" I recently attended. I wanted to make a big sign reading "IT'S
                PRONOUNCED 'RAFE'" and hold it up.

                > 2.I had assumed Charles Williams invented the last name of his villain in
                > War in
                > Heaven and Many Dimensions, Giles Tumulty. But recently I learned that
                > Woodrow
                > Wilson's secretary was named Joe Tumulty. So it's a real name; and I
                > suppose it
                > is even possible that CW saw the secretary's name and relished its
                > appropriateness for a bad guy.

                If it's an existing name, CW could easily have seen it somewhere else too.
                Absent further evidence, I rate this scenario even less likely than the idea
                that Tolkien was inspired by Theodore "The Man" Bilbo.