Re: [mythsoc] Fairy Tales

  • Kevin Bowring
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 14, 2011
      Excuse me if someone already mentioned this, but G. Ronald Murphy's "The Owl, the Raven, and the Dove: The Religious Meaning of the Grimms' Magic Fairy Tales" would seem to be a reasonable place to start.  It won a Mythsoc award.  Here's the Amazon link for more info:
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0195136071/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=A7MGM2FC6ASLQ

      Kevin

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 14, 2011
        He is also scholar GOH next summer at the Mythcon in Berkeley.

        Berni Phillips Bratman

        Excuse me if someone already mentioned this, but G. Ronald Murphy's "The Owl, the Raven, and the Dove: The Religious Meaning of the Grimms' Magic Fairy Tales" would seem to be a reasonable place to start.  It won a Mythsoc award.  Here's the Amazon link for more info:
        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0195136071/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=A7MGM2FC6ASLQ

        Kevin

        A student has asked me about a possible independent study next year looking at religion in fairy tales. As I collect potential materials, I thought I would turn to the collective wisdom of this group for suggestions. Cursory searches turn up many "religion is just a fairy tale"-type blogs.

        Thanks in advance,
        Hugh Davis

      • dale nelson
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 15, 2011
          This was my review of Murphy's book when it first came out, FWIW.

          http://www.touchstonemag.com/archives/print.php?id=15-05-047-b

          Dale Nelson