Mythcon 42 regrets from the Fosters

  • mafoster43
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2011
      After much pondering, Jo and I have concluded that we cannot attend Mythcon this year.

      Foremost of the reasons is family trumping fellowship. Our grand-daughter Emma Claire will be baptized July 16 in Marietta, Georgia, and once again, we will be there serving as godparents as well as grandparents. July 16 was the only date available during the time we'd booked for our summer visit.

      There are other factors, primarily economic. Last October's Flushing Meadows septic system effectively left our farmyard & garden a green wasteland of horseweed and Canadian thistle, which will not do.

      Please, if anyone would wish to oversee the Clerihew contest (see below), please contact me by E-mail at mafoster@... or through this posting. It requires three judges guaranteed in advance not to agree with each other. Details when required. Since the Orc with backhoe ate my Clerihew document when we sliced through our cable during Flushing Meadows last fall, please update last year's.

      Please use our advance registration fee for chardonnay & IPA for the Consuite.

      We also regret that the Motown Tolkien, WHERE DID OUR RING GO, is of necessity postponed till next time. Wait till next year, as we Chicago Cubs fans have been saying since Tolkien was at King Edward's school.

      Have a wonderful time. Wish we were there.

      Mike & Jo
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 12, 2011
        The lost is found and has been updated for this year:

        The Eleventh Not Very Annual Mary M. Stolzenbach Memorial Clerihew Contest

        Peregrine Took

        Was not exactly a crook.

        But if while walking in the fields of Farmer Maggott

        He found a mushroom, he’d bag it.

                    Mythcon 42 2011 celebrants are invited to participate in the timeless (pretty quick, actually) poetical rubric of the clerihew in the Ninth Not Very Annual Clerihew Contest.

                    Invented, maybe, by E. Clerihew Bentley over a century ago, the clerihew is a four-line verse that rhymes AABB.  The first line consists of a proper name.  The second line must end with a full stop (period, question mark, exclamation point).

                    Entries should be submitted one to a page, with the author’s name written on the reverse.  Categories are Before Tolkien (up to 1892), During Tolkien (1892-1973), and After Tolkien (1973-2005). Thus:

        Sir Lancelot

        Wore iron pants a lot.

        Talk about sex appeal!

        Real buns of steel!

        Galadriel

        Could’ve had the One Ring, but wottthehell.

        She was no moron;

        She knew she’d wind up worse than Sauron.

        Tom Shippey

        Is a speaker both wise and quippy.

        In a bold critical venture, he

        Declared Tolkien the author of the century.

                    The Nashville Mandate: Only one entry per category, or alternately three clerihews per contestant, please.  Submit entries to the Clerihew Contest box in the Mythcon office by 2 p.m. Saturday.

                    A distinguished panel of judges, They Who Must Never Be Named, will evaluate each entry using the HOC system (Humor, Originality, Clerihewness).  Winners will be read at the Mythopoeic Society banquet and awards ceremony Sunday evening and rewarded with the traditional prize of a jeroboam of Chateau de Porteur d’Anneau invisible champagne.