Re: [mythsoc] Short Review of Carl Phelpstead's Tolkien and Wales

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2011
      Thanks for the review, Andrew.

      _Introduction to Elvish_ has this chief and crucial advantage over the other contender among commercially-available books: it doesn't misrepresent what Tolkien actually wrote (e.g., it doesn't alter or make up evidence to fit theory). Yes, it's outdated, and yes, there's been a huge amount of new information published since it was written: but its integrity makes it still a completely reliable reference to what had been published as of 1976.

      The idea of updating _ItE_ was one of the motivations in the founding of the Elvish Linguistic Fellowship. But once Christopher Tolkien started to make (photocopies of) Tolkien's linguistic manuscripts available to (first) Christopher Gilson and (then) to Arden, Pat, and me, it quickly became apparent that that would be pointless: Tolkien's own writings obviously take precedent over secondary work. (Though in fact, the most recent issues of _Parma Eldalamberon_ serve rather nicely as a replacement for _ItE_, covering much the same territory in Tolkien's own words.)

      Carl

      P.S. I've been called a lot of things, but "doyen" is a new one! As I am neither the eldest nor the senior Tolkienian linguist, though, just the most loud-mouthed, I'll take it as recognition of that latter fact!