Re: [mythsoc] Owen Barfield

  • John Davis
    Message 1 of 38 , May 26 1:30 AM

      Whilst within a relatively short framework of time (say from the early 20th century to about the 1990s) classical music did see a turning away from traditional melody and harmony, in favour of more atonal and rhythmic music, I think this is probably only the case within in this very short time-scale. And indeed, recent years have seen a return in classical music to more melodic works, due to an extent to the influence of film score composers (thank you Howard Shore et al!). The same could possibly be said for popular music within an even shorter time scale - from melodic 50s songs to dance music and now back to X-factoresque bland melodies.

      In the larger view of the development of music, on the other hand, it is traditionally thought (though not necessarily correctly!) that first came rhythm, then melody, then harmony. After all, you can have rhythm without melody, and melody without harmony, but you cannot have melody without rhythm or harmony without at least a simple melody (by simple melody I mean more than one note played consequtively). Personally I find it hard to believe that melody did not come hot on the heels - if not at the same time - as rhythm, especially given some recent theories about the development of music predating and leading to the development of language (as in Mitchen's 'The Singing Neandertals'). But I'm not sure it is correct to say that emphasis on rhythm is a result of our removal from nature - both melody and rhythm being equally 'natural'.

      What might be a result of this alienation, however, is an emphasis on atonality, which is in essence 'unnatural' harmony. And certainly music with this emphasis is connected with modernism in other arts, 20th c. industrialisation of western society, and is often used to reflect or represent a sense of alienation or unnaturalness. So if you exchange melody for natural harmonies and rhythm for unnatural harmonies in your email, I think you may have an interesting point.

      John

      Message 38 of 38 , May 26 10:11 PM
        Very sorry to hear it. I never met Edward Carlos Plunkett, though I did meet his father (the famous Lord Dunsany's son). Thanks for posting the news, Dale.
           We can be grateful to this Lord Dunsany for one thing: he allowed the publication of a number of his grandfather's works that had lain neglected in a bank vault for decades -- a novel, a play, a volume of short stories, and various odds & ends. None of them had the stuff of greatness that makes me rank Dunsany as the best fantasy short story writer ever, but it's good to have even the lesser works of a great writer.
           --John R.

        current reading: THE BOOK OF WONDER [1912]