Re: [mythsoc] The Ugly Chickens

  • John Rateliff
    Message 1 of 49 , May 10, 2011
      Yes, as David says, it's a great story. The closing sentence is particularly memorable -- but there's no way to share it with anyone without spoiling the story. It's not that often I call something a masterpiece, but "The Ugly Chickens" is one.
         --John R.

      On May 9, 2011, at 8:23 AM, Mem Morman wrote:
      I found the Walpole story on the web and read it this morning.  It made my day.  You go read it too.
      mem

      -- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
      > His most ingenious story ever was called "The Ugly Chickens". It starts with an ornithologist idly leafing through a book of extinct birds while riding a bus, and the old lady sitting next to him stops him when he gets to the dodo and says, "I haven't seen any of those ugly chickens in a long time." But the dodo has been extinct for centuries; how could she possibly ever have seen any? Well, it turns out that the dodo hadn't gone extinct; it has a hidden history that he spends the story uncovering, and it turns out that ... oh, read it. Great story.

    • John Rateliff
      Message 49 of 49 , May 10, 2011