Fantasy Explosion

  • Solomon
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2000
      Greetings,

      I have a general statement and inquiry.

      I believe we are on the eve of an explosion in popularity for
      fantasy. Although The fantasy television shows that have all popped
      up in the past several years are not exactly what one might call...
      uh... er, a prime example of the genre's potential, they are, without
      a doubt, building a new audience for fantasy. Although they have
      much to be desired, it is a baby step in a positive direction.
      Through them, people are getting acustomed to topics such as magic,
      mythic creatures, fantastic settings, adventure and heroism. With
      time they may also follow this path further, seeking more depth,
      insight into life, and really discovering the capabilities of the
      imagination.

      Also, popular cinema has a large influence on society. I have heard
      very few negative expectations from the LOTR movie, yet even if it
      were half as good as I expect it to be, it would still probably be a
      huge mone maker in the box office. Surely, if nothing else for the
      pursuit of money, this could start a trend in cinema. I have heard
      of a Harry Potter movie and a D&D movie, both already having large
      fan bases.

      Between the two, there is a very good chance of fantasy gaining
      attention never really seen before in the modern age. This would
      likely spark a ressurgance of interest in the obviouss classic
      fantasy creations and mythology. I can easily see many movies of
      classic myths of the Nordic and Celtic as well as more of Greek. Can
      you imagine how this might effect society? Concider all of the
      positive influences this genre has on ones view of and appraoch to
      life. I personally believe that fantasy changes the way one thinks,
      breaking restrictions one may have on thought. The impossible
      becomes possible, life is a great adventure, it is as if enjoying
      fantasy on a regular basis helps one to view the world as being full
      of endless possibilities, and therefore always to look for new ones.

      I can see many positive influences this trend would have on society,
      not to mention all of the new quality works that would come out of
      such a fantasy revolution.

      What do you think about this?

      Solomon
    • Melinda Jane Harrison
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2000
        Sophie:

        >to go into schools to talk about myth,legend, and traditional
        >stories..more and more people are finding meaning again in these things,
        .... so now perhaps fantasy, so long an
        >undercurrent, is coming up to reinvigorate a society which has exhausted
        >itself through modernism

        This is exactly what I am going to do this year for the first time.
        Although I often feel my culture (western and American) is in twilight, it
        is exactly
        in these times of twilight where people come out of insularity and are
        forced to
        recognize others in the world, their habits and customs, etc. So I believe
        people are interested. They teach mythology as an elective here. Too bad
        it's not
        required. They ought to teach comparative religion of some kind, and
        let students view various religions at the high school level.

        This year I am doing myths, fairy tales, folklore that have to do with the
        soul, it's journey, descent and ascent, hence my study in Mystery
        Religions. However, we will be doing Sleeping
        Beauty, <g> another variant of the soul's journey.

        For Lizzie: Have you ever read The Darkangel Trilogy by Meredith Anne Pierce?
        I am rereading these now, and certainly they are darker, but they have
        themes you might
        be searching for, but in a less obvious way than Lewis and company, and the
        ones you first
        mentioned. But this is a trilogy that I am going to promote in my talks
        this year, for
        various reasons I won't discuss here. BTW, have you ever read Graham
        Greene? Not
        fantasy, but certainly religious. And very profound at that. I marvel at
        his writings.

        Jane