Re: [mythsoc] Re: Copyright Loremasters?

    Message 1 of 49 , May 6, 2011
      >Howard Waldrop did a wonderful short
      >one-off called "Night of the Cooters"
      >which is not so much a sequel as a
      >parallel account of his imagining what
      >wd have happened if the Martians had
      >landed in rural Texas. Short version:
      >a Texas sheriff is a match for any
      >space aliens.

      Waldrop specializes in stories of this kind, playing with history or earlier literature. One of his best relevant ones is the labors of Hercules set in 1920s Mississippi. (This was published long before the film "O Brother Where Art Thou".) It was called "A Dozen Tough Jobs".

      His most ingenious story ever was called "The Ugly Chickens". It starts with an ornithologist idly leafing through a book of extinct birds while riding a bus, and the old lady sitting next to him stops him when he gets to the dodo and says, "I haven't seen any of those ugly chickens in a long time." But the dodo has been extinct for centuries; how could she possibly ever have seen any? Well, it turns out that the dodo hadn't gone extinct; it has a hidden history that he spends the story uncovering, and it turns out that ... oh, read it. Great story.
    • John Rateliff
      Message 49 of 49 , May 10, 2011
        Yes, as David says, it's a great story. The closing sentence is particularly memorable -- but there's no way to share it with anyone without spoiling the story. It's not that often I call something a masterpiece, but "The Ugly Chickens" is one.
           --John R.

        On May 9, 2011, at 8:23 AM, Mem Morman wrote:
        I found the Walpole story on the web and read it this morning.  It made my day.  You go read it too.
        mem