Re: [mythsoc] Re: Copyright Loremasters?

  • John Rateliff
    Message 1 of 49 , May 6, 2011
      Yes, sort of.
         Howard Waldrop did a wonderful short one-off called "Night of the Cooters" which is not so much a sequel as a parallel account of his imagining what wd have happened if the Martians had landed in rural Texas. Short version: a Texas sheriff is a match for any space aliens.
         There was also a collection inspired by this, where different authors did their own takes on how the invasion might have played out around the world; I think it was called WAR OF THE WORLDS: GLOBAL DISPATCHES. As I remember, it had the Waldrop in it but otherwise nothing memorable.
         There's also a terrible novel-length Sherlock Holmes & Professor Challenger team-up to fight the Martians. I forget the author; it was mainly memorable for the depiction of Mrs. Hudson as a blue-eyed blonde knock-out who falls into Sherlock's arms every time Dr. Watson leaves the room.
         But I do admit to a fondness for Jeff Wayne's concept album; Richard Burton does a great job as The Narrator.
      --John R.

      On May 6, 2011, at 6:44 PM, dale nelson wrote:
      Did someone write a sequel to Wells's War of the Worlds?  Was that any good?

    • John Rateliff
      Message 49 of 49 , May 10, 2011
        Yes, as David says, it's a great story. The closing sentence is particularly memorable -- but there's no way to share it with anyone without spoiling the story. It's not that often I call something a masterpiece, but "The Ugly Chickens" is one.
           --John R.

        On May 9, 2011, at 8:23 AM, Mem Morman wrote:
        I found the Walpole story on the web and read it this morning.  It made my day.  You go read it too.
        mem