Re: Copyright Loremasters?

  • lynnmaudlin
    Message 1 of 49 , May 6, 2011
      Not to stand in between two great Mythprint editors, but

      >because it turned out that what you disliked was, in fact, the stuff you didn't think was any good, and not the category as a whole, which, as you said, you were in no position to judge as a whole.

      doesn't strike me as representing what Jason said (or at least what *I* understood him to say!). Ah, the joys of English! One could never be so imprecise in French (well... it would be a lot harder!).

      -- Lynn --

      > "Jason Fisher" <visualweasel@...> wrote:
      >
      > > In my previous message, "I don't care for" it meant "I have no interest
      > > in"
      > > it, not "I have read it and judge it no good".
      >
      > And I very carefully wrote to avoid saying that it did. I wrote:
      >
      > >> You're now in the position of having said you don't grasp a whole class
      > >> of works,
      >
      > not that you disliked them or judged them bad
      >
      > >> when what you meant was that you don't like the ones you
      > >> don't think are any good.
      >
      > because it turned out that what you disliked was, in fact, the stuff you
      > didn't think was any good, and not the category as a whole, which, as you
      > said, you were in no position to judge as a whole.

    • John Rateliff
      Message 49 of 49 , May 10, 2011
        Yes, as David says, it's a great story. The closing sentence is particularly memorable -- but there's no way to share it with anyone without spoiling the story. It's not that often I call something a masterpiece, but "The Ugly Chickens" is one.
           --John R.

        On May 9, 2011, at 8:23 AM, Mem Morman wrote:
        I found the Walpole story on the web and read it this morning.  It made my day.  You go read it too.
        mem