Re: Copyright Loremasters?

  • lynnmaudlin
    Message 1 of 49 , May 6, 2011
      Hopefully you've discovered how many WONDERFUL books you don't have time to read--! ;)

      -- Lynn --

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Alana Abbott <alanajoli@...> wrote:

      > On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...>wrote:
      >
      > > Why anyone should *want* to do this in the first place -- i.e., create
      > > derivative works based on the creative efforts of others -- is something I
      > > don't quite grasp. I don't grok fanfic and never have. I suppose new,
      > > authorized novels set in the Star Trek and Star Wars universes are a bit
      > > more understandable -- and lord, there are a lot of them!* -- but
      > > personally, I don't have any interest in those either. Just me?
      > > Jase
      > >
      > > * Does anybody here read them? I have maybe a dozen Star Wars books for
      > > review by now! Nobody has ever asked for one, and they are about to become
      > > *bantha poodoo* if no one does.
      > >

      > Jase, I used to read *all* of them (some of them quite good, some of them...
      > not) -- but college interfered, so at this point, I'm more than 10 years
      > behind in what's been published. I haven't found the energy (or motivation)
      > to catch up.
      >
      > -Alana
      >
      > --
      > Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (
      > http://www.virgilandbeatrice.com)
      > Author of *Into the Reach* and *Departure*, available at
      > http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks
      > Columnist, "The Town with Five Main Streets,"
      > http://branford.patch.com/columns/the-town-with-five-main-streets
      > Contributor to Origins Award winner, Serenity Adventures:
      > http://tinyurl.com/serenity-adventures
      > --

    • John Rateliff
      Message 49 of 49 , May 10, 2011
        Yes, as David says, it's a great story. The closing sentence is particularly memorable -- but there's no way to share it with anyone without spoiling the story. It's not that often I call something a masterpiece, but "The Ugly Chickens" is one.
           --John R.

        On May 9, 2011, at 8:23 AM, Mem Morman wrote:
        I found the Walpole story on the web and read it this morning.  It made my day.  You go read it too.
        mem