Re: Copyright Loremasters?

  • Westermeyer GS11 Paul W
    Message 1 of 49 , May 6 5:28 AM
      The Flashman novels by George MacDonald Fraser are based on a character from Thomas Hughes' 'Tom Brown's School Days' and Fraser's novels, IMO, far surpass the progenitor in literary quality. Most 'classic' literature is derivative work, if it was good enough for Homer it really should be good enough for us, IMO.

      Originality is laudable, but we should not demean the creative genius required to take someone else's character into new directions.
    • John Rateliff
      Message 49 of 49 , May 10 3:44 PM
        Yes, as David says, it's a great story. The closing sentence is particularly memorable -- but there's no way to share it with anyone without spoiling the story. It's not that often I call something a masterpiece, but "The Ugly Chickens" is one.
           --John R.

        On May 9, 2011, at 8:23 AM, Mem Morman wrote:
        I found the Walpole story on the web and read it this morning.  It made my day.  You go read it too.
        mem