Re: [mythsoc] Copyright Loremasters?

  • John Rateliff
    Message 1 of 49 , May 5, 2011
      Such as Neil Gaiman's "The Problem of Susan"? Though that would be an example of a literary response, not fanfic.
         My position is similar to Jason's, but not quite the same: on the whole I don't think much of using someone else's characters rather than your own (hence my lack of interest in Maguire's OZ books, or the recent Peter Pans). But there are exceptions,  when someone gets ahold of what sounds like a great idea, when I'll give them a try. Mostly I'm disappointed, but the occasional gems are worth the effort, like Verlyn Flieger's "Green Hill Country".
         So far the closest I've seen to a successful use of an Inkling in fiction is Velarde's CONVERSATIONS W. C.S. LEWIS, wh. is more like a novelized dialogue than 'fiction'.
         And thanks, David, for the chart. V. useful!
      --John R.

      On May 5, 2011, at 7:32 AM, marc drayer wrote:
      And there are several real good fanfics of the Inklings works out that I have read, particularly fanfics of the Narnia series which try to resolve the problem of Susan at the end of The Last Battle, or several other issues that are left unsaid.

    • John Rateliff
      Message 49 of 49 , May 10, 2011
        Yes, as David says, it's a great story. The closing sentence is particularly memorable -- but there's no way to share it with anyone without spoiling the story. It's not that often I call something a masterpiece, but "The Ugly Chickens" is one.
           --John R.

        On May 9, 2011, at 8:23 AM, Mem Morman wrote:
        I found the Walpole story on the web and read it this morning.  It made my day.  You go read it too.
        mem