Re: [mythsoc] Copyright Loremasters?

    Message 1 of 49 , May 5, 2011
      "Jason Fisher" <visualweasel@...> wrote:

      >Why anyone should want to do this in the first place -- i.e., create
      >derivative
      >works based on the creative efforts of others -- is something I don't quite
      >grasp.

      In a later post, you wrote that you didn't mean things like "Rosencrantz and
      Guildenstern Are Dead", but that's not what you said above. You're now in
      the position of having said you don't grasp a whole class of works, when
      what you meant was that you don't like the ones you don't think are any
      good. Well, nobody likes stuff they don't think is any good. And
      "wish-fulfillment" is not limited to derivative works; it's simply that
      having a ready-made universe to work in makes plugging your work into the
      reader's mind a lot easier for hack authors.

      I could point out that Tolkien wrote a fair number of loosely derivative
      works, and that almost all of Shakespeare's plots are modified retellings of
      well-known stories. It's not that self-published fanfic is derivative
      that's the problem. The problem is that most of it is bad. But then, most
      self-published fiction is bad. So what else is new?

      >I suppose new, authorized novels set
      >in the Star Trek and Star Wars universes are a bit more understandable --
      >and
      >lord, there are a lot of them!* -- but personally, I don't have any
      >interest in
      >those either. Just me?

      Me neither, but that's because I'm not very interested in those universes.
      For me, Star Wars is a passingly enjoyable movie I saw 35 years ago, and of
      no more interest than any other passingly enjoyable movie I saw 35 years
      ago.
    • John Rateliff
      Message 49 of 49 , May 10, 2011
        Yes, as David says, it's a great story. The closing sentence is particularly memorable -- but there's no way to share it with anyone without spoiling the story. It's not that often I call something a masterpiece, but "The Ugly Chickens" is one.
           --John R.

        On May 9, 2011, at 8:23 AM, Mem Morman wrote:
        I found the Walpole story on the web and read it this morning.  It made my day.  You go read it too.
        mem