ADMIN: List guideline review

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2000
      >> The Mythopoeic Society is a nonsectarian organization, and our
      >> members represent a variety of religious (and non-religious) views.
      >> Therefore, please keep in mind that other list members may have
      >> different religious views.
      >>
      >Dear Joan,
      >
      >Surely this does not mean that the non-confrontational expression of one's
      >OWN religious views is offensive? which is all that I have seen in the
      >recent discussion (one of the most interesting discussions I remember in
      >recent months)
      >
      >Is religion to become the Unspeakable? (though the sincerely religious
      >know,
      >I think, that it is to be spoken about cautiously, and with reticence...).

      I invite a re-reading of the guideline above. The statement:

      "Please keep in mind that other list members may have different religious
      views"

      does NOT mean: "religion is not to be discussed on this list" (such a
      guideline would be silly, considering that JRRT, CSL, and CW used religious
      themes in their works)

      it DOES mean: "remember that others on the list may not be of the same
      religion you are."

      It seems to me that such a reminder is harmless, but appropriate when
      discussions drift into the theological, especially since not all list
      members are Mythopoeic Society members, and since I have had some inquirers
      mistake the Mythsoc list for a Christian theology list. Such a statement
      clarifies the issue, I think, without imposing an undue burden on list
      members.

      Joan
      List Administrator

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...