Re: [mythsoc] Re: Copyright Loremasters?

  • Alana Abbott
    Message 1 of 49 , May 5, 2011
      On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:07 AM, IcelofAngeln <solicitr@...> wrote:

      However, Dale, don't lose all hope: CW died in 1945, so his copyrights will expire fairly soon, on 1 January 2016.

      Does this hold true for British copyright law? I know there are differences between the US and the UK on this topic but haven't ever quite been able to figure it out.

      There are also ways of doing spin offs while a work is still inside of copyright, but I think that involves appealing to the copyright holders for permission (and allowing them some form of compensation). I suspect for most books, it's not worth the effort or money -- and is better to wait. :)

      -Alana

      Author of Into the Reach and Departure, available at http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks

    • John Rateliff
      Message 49 of 49 , May 10, 2011
        Yes, as David says, it's a great story. The closing sentence is particularly memorable -- but there's no way to share it with anyone without spoiling the story. It's not that often I call something a masterpiece, but "The Ugly Chickens" is one.
           --John R.

        On May 9, 2011, at 8:23 AM, Mem Morman wrote:
        I found the Walpole story on the web and read it this morning.  It made my day.  You go read it too.
        mem