Re: Copyright Loremasters?

  • IcelofAngeln
    Message 1 of 49 , May 5 7:07 AM
      However, Dale, don't lose all hope: CW died in 1945, so his copyrights will expire fairly soon, on 1 January 2016.

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

      > Copyright in written works pertains not just to the words of a work itself, but also to derivative works, including the use of characters, settings, situations, and other original elements created by the author.
      >
      > So yes, a work that uses characters from Charles Williams novels (which are still in copyright), being derivative works, would violate copyright if published without permission.
      >
      > Carl
      >
      > On May 4, 2011, at 10:44 PM, dale nelson wrote:
      >

      > > We have some librarians here. I have a question. It is for curiosity's sake; the prequel idea I"m about to mention just occurred to me this moment.
      > >
      > > Giles Tumulty is a character in two Charles Williams novels, War in Heaven (1930) and Many Dimensions (1931). Suppose I wanted to write a prequel about Tumulty's ill behavior prior to these books, or -- for that matter -- about his activities between them. (He dies in Many Dimensions, so no sequel!) And -- why not? -- suppose I wanted to include Lord Arglay too.
      > >
      > > Would there be any plausible legal problems with this -- in the US, or in the UK?
      > >
      > > Suppose, further, that my publisher blazoned "Based on the Characters Created by Charles Williams" across the dustjacket.
      > >
      > > Legal problems?
      > >
      > > I'm curious. These questions are prompted by the postings just now about the Tolkien-exploiting books.
      > >
      > > Dale Nelson

    • John Rateliff
      Message 49 of 49 , May 10 3:44 PM
        Yes, as David says, it's a great story. The closing sentence is particularly memorable -- but there's no way to share it with anyone without spoiling the story. It's not that often I call something a masterpiece, but "The Ugly Chickens" is one.
           --John R.

        On May 9, 2011, at 8:23 AM, Mem Morman wrote:
        I found the Walpole story on the web and read it this morning.  It made my day.  You go read it too.
        mem