Copyright Loremasters?

  • dale nelson
    Message 1 of 49 , May 4, 2011
      We have some librarians here.  I have a question.  It is for curiosity's sake; the prequel idea I"m about to mention just occurred to me this moment.

      Giles Tumulty is a character in two Charles Williams novels, War in Heaven (1930) and Many Dimensions (1931).  Suppose I wanted to write a prequel about Tumulty's ill behavior prior to these books, or -- for that matter -- about his activities between them.  (He dies in Many Dimensions, so no sequel!)  And -- why not? -- suppose I wanted to include Lord Arglay too.

      Would there be any plausible legal problems with this -- in the US, or in the UK?

      Suppose, further, that my publisher blazoned "Based on the Characters Created by Charles Williams" across the dustjacket.

      Legal problems?

      I'm curious.  These questions are prompted by the postings just now about the Tolkien-exploiting books.

      Dale Nelson

    • John Rateliff
      Message 49 of 49 , May 10, 2011
        Yes, as David says, it's a great story. The closing sentence is particularly memorable -- but there's no way to share it with anyone without spoiling the story. It's not that often I call something a masterpiece, but "The Ugly Chickens" is one.
           --John R.

        On May 9, 2011, at 8:23 AM, Mem Morman wrote:
        I found the Walpole story on the web and read it this morning.  It made my day.  You go read it too.
        mem