Where the Shadows Lie - Another Tolkien Themed Book

  • Andrew Higgins
    Message 1 of 8 , May 4 12:01 AM
      Continuing along this line of Tolken themed books - has anyone dipped into Michael Ridpath's Where the Shadows Lie a thriller set in Iceland whose main plot centers around a lost Norse aaga - Gaukur's Saga - which relates a story about an evil ring (the ring of Andavari perhaps?) and has characters named Isildur and Gandalf.  This saga was "discovered" and sent to Tolkien in 1937-8 just as he was working on his new Hobbit and, in a "letter" Tolkien said he would keep the saga quiet.  In the Modern day there is a group of "fanatical" Tolkienists vying for this saga to discover if the ring is real.  it does have its moments and the portrayal of the onlime Tolkien world is "interesting" and I shall comment more on that when I finish the book on my Kindle/Ipad.

      But clearly there is use of Tolkien's name, characters and items from the legendarium and I wonder how much the Tolkien Estate was consulted for this one.

      Link to book below....

      I know there is another Inkling themed out there which I will load up to read this summer.  Still ruminating about my new thrill series of Richard Wagner as Solver of Murder Mysteries (Book One - Who Killed the Heldentenor????)

      Thanks Andy

      Sent from the IPAD of Andrew Higgins asthiggins@...  asthiggins on Twitter
      And at his blog Wotan's Musings http://wotanselvishmusings.blogspot.com/

      On 4 May 2011, at 03:00, lynnmaudlin <lynnmaudlin@...> wrote:

      "Now if only something could be done about Hillard's prose."

      THAT is, I fear, beyond the power of the courts....

      -- Lynn --

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Kane" <dougkane@...> wrote:

      > A while back the dispute over the book Mirkwood, A Novel About J.R.R. Tolkien sparked quite a discussion about the Tolkien Estate's actions protecting Tolkien's intellectual property rights (actions which I generally support). I have now learned that the lawsuit that the author of the book, Steven Hillard, filed in order to obtain a declaratory judgment has been settled. According to The Hollywood Reporter:
      >
      > According to the settlement, the book will now be released with a modified reference to Tolkien on the cover and will also include the disclaimer, "This is a work of fiction which is neither endorsed nor connected with The JRR Tolkien Estate or its publisher."
      >
      > The Estate's attorney, Aaron Morse, adds "The settlement terms are confidential, but the agreement adequately addresses the Estate's concerns about Mr. Hillard's book."
      >
      > Sounds like a reasonable settlement to me, addressing the concerns that the Estate had while still allowing the publication to go through.
      >
      > Now if only something could be done about Hillard's prose.

    • Ernest Davis
      Message 2 of 8 , May 11 6:54 AM
        On Mon, 2 May 2011, Ernest Davis quoted The Hobbit:

        > To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.
        > There are no words left to express his staggerment, since Men changed
        > the language they learned of elves in the days when all the world was
        > wonderful.

        It occurs to me that there is an interesting contrasting passage in Thomas
        Mann's short story "A Man and his Dog" (1918) (great story,
        incidentally). The author's dog Bashan has for the first time seen a
        huntsman shoot a duck.

        I can think of large words with which to describe it, phrases we use for
        great occasions: I could say that he was thunderstruck. But I do not
        like them, I do not want to use them. The large words are worn out, when
        the great occasion comes they do not describe it. Better use the small
        ones and put into them every ounce of their weight. I will simply say
        that when Bashan heard the explosion, saw its meaning and consequence,
        he started; and it was the same start which I have seen him give a
        thousand times when something surprises him, only raised to the nth
        degree. It was a start which flung his whole body backwards with a
        right-and-left motion, so sudden that it jerked his head against his
        chest and almost bounced it off his shoulders: a start which made his
        whole body seem to be crying out: What! What! What was that? Wait a
        minute in the devil's name! What was _that_?

        Here it is the figurative "thunderstruck" that is worn out, and the
        solution is to resort to a very literal, very unpoetic, account.

        -- Ernie