Re: Digest Number 51

  • W.B.Honey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 1999
      >>Message: 2
      Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 07:57:29 -0500
      From: "Matthew R. Williams" <director@...-wi.org>
      Subject: Awards, etc.

      On the subject of the books up for award, I thought "stardust" was kind of
      formulaic, but really enjoyed "High House" and "Harry Potter and the
      Sorcerer's Stone", both of which I found very imaginative. I thought the
      idea of a whole world inside a house was very well thought out and I enjoyed
      the references to Lewis, MacDonald, etc.<<

      I thought Harry Potter was derivative and, well, formulaic, if the formula
      were, as a previous poster said, a dash of LeGuin, a touch of Wynne Jones,
      and a lot of Dahl. (And, as someone on the Fantasy Onelist pointed out, a
      healthy helping of Gaiman's original Books of Magic graphic novel.)

      Stardust, on the other hand, I don't see as formulaic at all: yes, the hero
      finds his true heart's desire, evil is (ambiguously) thwarted and our hero
      and heroine get to live happily for a while, but it's a fairy tale: I
      wouldn't have wanted it to end any other way. It's the way the confection is
      built that fascinated me, and the beautiful way he did it.

      RE: Gene Wolfe.

      I'd have to read the Spinrad review (caveat - I hugely enjoyed Battlefield
      Earth, in the same way I enjoyed Raiders of the Lost Ark. It was unabashed
      pulp fiction done by a craftsman. Don't see how that's relevant to
      Severian's story though) I've read The Book of the New Sun about five times
      now, and it gets bigger and wiser every time, so I don't see that it can be
      dismissed as 'the least' of Gene Wolfe's works.

      I love his short stories. Did you ever read Bibliomen?

      (Oddly enough, I discovered Gaiman through Wolfe's introduction of the
      Sandman collection Fables and Reflections. I'd heard about it, but it took
      that to make me get over my 'but it's a comic' reaction.)

      Red