Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 382

  • Joe Christopher
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2000
      I don't want to comment on the religious discussion in No. 382, but I'd like
      to make a point about the writing of fiction tied to religious beliefs. I
      think a good model is in the last third of Miller's _A Canticle for
      Leibowitz_ in the debate about the euthanasia camps after an atomic blast.
      I have seen the debate praised by readers on either side of it, for setting
      out their beliefs clearly. Miller does not solve the problem, but he makes
      clear the secular standards and the religious standards.

      Despite some romantic elements (e.g., the Wandering Jew), Miller has a large
      amount of realism in his book. And Miller's book is usually considered one
      of the classics of modern SF. Lewis's Ransom Trilogy is less realistic and
      more romantic (in the tradition of the scientific romance, as one critic has
      argued), and the characters become more archetypal, in general. One notices
      that the Ransom Trilogy (particularly the second and third volumes) tends to
      be praised by only by one side of the discussion.

      NOT SENT; THERE ARE FURTHER COMPLICATIONS.