Re: [mythsoc] Re: language change

  • Darrell A. Martin
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 29, 2011
      On 4/29/2011 9:52 PM, Alana Abbott wrote:

      > Margaret,
      >
      > Yay, the real quote! James Nicoll is a reviewer for /Publishers
      > Weekly/ (as am I), so I was thrilled to get the back story of his quote
      > on our mailing list a few years ago. :) I'm so glad you posted the whole
      > thing.
      >
      > -Alana
      >
      > On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 9:42 PM, Margaret Dean <margdean56@...
      > <mailto:margdean56@...>> wrote:
      >
      > On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 12:12 AM, Darrell A. Martin
      > <darrellm@... <mailto:darrellm@...>> wrote:
      > >
      > > Lynn:
      > >
      > > It is said that English does not borrow from other languages.
      > > It waits for them to go into dark alleys, beats them up,
      > > and takes whatever it wants.

      >> "The problem with defending the purity of
      >> the English language is that English is
      >> about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We
      >> don't just borrow words; on occasion,
      >> English has pursued other languages down
      >> alleyways to beat them unconscious and
      >> rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
      >> —James D. Nicoll, 1990, in the Usenet
      >> group rec.arts.sf-lovers

      Yay! indeed:

      I have heard a paraphrase of this quote in about half a dozen versions,
      over the years. Hence "it is said". I'm glad to get the whole thing, and
      a source.

      Classic Usenet, with no consideration for the feelings of the poor
      cribhouse whores even in the period after it switched from the original
      clay tablets to papyrus.

      Darrell