Re: language change

  • lynnmaudlin
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 29, 2011
      Are we defending the "purity of English"?? We are not the Académie française, after all--!! We're discussing history and bemoaning the passing of the intimate singular second person (huh! good thing I'm first person, eh?!). {{grin}}

      -- Lynn --

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Margaret Dean <margdean56@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 12:12 AM, Darrell A. Martin
      > <darrellm@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > On 4/29/2011 12:48 AM, lynnmaudlin wrote:
      > > > ESPECIALLY in English, of all things! English, that grand snowball rolling downhill of a language, gathering pebbles and branches and slow animals in its path...! ;)
      > > >
      > > > -- Lynn --
      > >
      > > Lynn:
      > >
      > > It is said that English does not borrow from other languages. It waits
      > > for them to go into dark alleys, beats them up, and takes whatever it wants.
      >
      > "The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
      > English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow
      > words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways
      > to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new
      > vocabulary."—James D. Nicoll, 1990, in the Usenet group
      > rec.arts.sf-lovers

    • bernip
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 29, 2011
        James Nicoll also blogs regularly on Live Journal.  (His LJ handle is his name.)  He writes much of his many cats and too-frequent accidents.  He's a very witty writer (and a current Hugo nominee for best fan writer, I believe.)

        Berni

        Yay, the real quote! James Nicoll is a reviewer for Publishers Weekly (as am I), so I was thrilled to get the back story of his quote on our mailing list a few years ago. :) I'm so glad you posted the whole thing.

        -Alana

        <darrellm@...> wrote:

        > On 4/29/2011 12:48 AM, lynnmaudlin wrote:
        > > ESPECIALLY in English, of all things! English, that grand snowball rolling downhill of a language, gathering pebbles and branches and slow animals in its path...! ;)
        > >
        > > -- Lynn --
        >
        > Lynn:
        >
        > It is said that English does not borrow from other languages. It waits
        > for them to go into dark alleys, beats them up, and takes whatever it wants.

        "The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
        English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow
        words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways
        to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new
        vocabulary."—James D. Nicoll, 1990, in the Usenet group
        rec.arts.sf-lovers

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           mythsoc-digest@yahoogroups.com
           mythsoc-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Author of Into the Reach and Departure, available at http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks

      • Darrell A. Martin
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 29, 2011
          On 4/29/2011 9:52 PM, Alana Abbott wrote:

          > Margaret,
          >
          > Yay, the real quote! James Nicoll is a reviewer for /Publishers
          > Weekly/ (as am I), so I was thrilled to get the back story of his quote
          > on our mailing list a few years ago. :) I'm so glad you posted the whole
          > thing.
          >
          > -Alana
          >
          > On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 9:42 PM, Margaret Dean <margdean56@...
          > <mailto:margdean56@...>> wrote:
          >
          > On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 12:12 AM, Darrell A. Martin
          > <darrellm@... <mailto:darrellm@...>> wrote:
          > >
          > > Lynn:
          > >
          > > It is said that English does not borrow from other languages.
          > > It waits for them to go into dark alleys, beats them up,
          > > and takes whatever it wants.

          >> "The problem with defending the purity of
          >> the English language is that English is
          >> about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We
          >> don't just borrow words; on occasion,
          >> English has pursued other languages down
          >> alleyways to beat them unconscious and
          >> rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
          >> —James D. Nicoll, 1990, in the Usenet
          >> group rec.arts.sf-lovers

          Yay! indeed:

          I have heard a paraphrase of this quote in about half a dozen versions,
          over the years. Hence "it is said". I'm glad to get the whole thing, and
          a source.

          Classic Usenet, with no consideration for the feelings of the poor
          cribhouse whores even in the period after it switched from the original
          clay tablets to papyrus.

          Darrell