Re: [mythsoc] Re: language change

  • Alana Abbott
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 29 7:52 PM
      Margaret,

      [an off-list response]

      Yay, the real quote! James Nicoll is a reviewer for Publishers Weekly (as am I), so I was thrilled to get the back story of his quote on our mailing list a few years ago. :) I'm so glad you posted the whole thing.

      -Alana

      On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 9:42 PM, Margaret Dean <margdean56@...> wrote:
      On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 12:12 AM, Darrell A. Martin
      <darrellm@...> wrote:

      > On 4/29/2011 12:48 AM, lynnmaudlin wrote:
      > > ESPECIALLY in English, of all things! English, that grand snowball rolling downhill of a language, gathering pebbles and branches and slow animals in its path...! ;)
      > >
      > > -- Lynn --
      >
      > Lynn:
      >
      > It is said that English does not borrow from other languages. It waits
      > for them to go into dark alleys, beats them up, and takes whatever it wants.

      "The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
      English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow
      words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways
      to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new
      vocabulary."—James D. Nicoll, 1990, in the Usenet group
      rec.arts.sf-lovers

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         mythsoc-digest@yahoogroups.com
         mythsoc-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Author of Into the Reach and Departure, available at http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks

    • Alana Abbott
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 29 7:53 PM
        Ha! Or an on-list response when I hit the wrong button.

        -Alana

        <darrellm@...> wrote:

        > On 4/29/2011 12:48 AM, lynnmaudlin wrote:
        > > ESPECIALLY in English, of all things! English, that grand snowball rolling downhill of a language, gathering pebbles and branches and slow animals in its path...! ;)
        > >
        > > -- Lynn --
        >
        > Lynn:
        >
        > It is said that English does not borrow from other languages. It waits
        > for them to go into dark alleys, beats them up, and takes whatever it wants.

        "The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
        English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow
        words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways
        to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new
        vocabulary."—James D. Nicoll, 1990, in the Usenet group
        rec.arts.sf-lovers

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           mythsoc-digest@yahoogroups.com
           mythsoc-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Author of Into the Reach and Departure, available at http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks

        Author of Into the Reach and Departure, available at http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks

      • lynnmaudlin
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 29 9:49 PM
          I prefer the snowball analogy; my mother tongue would never beat up a defenseless little language in a dark alley!!! ;)

          -- Lynn --

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Darrell A. Martin" <darrellm@...> wrote:

          > On 4/29/2011 12:48 AM, lynnmaudlin wrote:
          > > ESPECIALLY in English, of all things! English, that grand snowball rolling downhill of a language, gathering pebbles and branches and slow animals in its path...! ;)
          > >
          > > -- Lynn --
          >
          > Lynn:
          >
          > It is said that English does not borrow from other languages. It waits
          > for them to go into dark alleys, beats them up, and takes whatever it wants.
          >
          > Darrell

        • lynnmaudlin
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 29 9:53 PM
            Are we defending the "purity of English"?? We are not the Académie française, after all--!! We're discussing history and bemoaning the passing of the intimate singular second person (huh! good thing I'm first person, eh?!). {{grin}}

            -- Lynn --

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Margaret Dean <margdean56@...> wrote:

            > On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 12:12 AM, Darrell A. Martin
            > <darrellm@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > On 4/29/2011 12:48 AM, lynnmaudlin wrote:
            > > > ESPECIALLY in English, of all things! English, that grand snowball rolling downhill of a language, gathering pebbles and branches and slow animals in its path...! ;)
            > > >
            > > > -- Lynn --
            > >
            > > Lynn:
            > >
            > > It is said that English does not borrow from other languages. It waits
            > > for them to go into dark alleys, beats them up, and takes whatever it wants.
            >
            > "The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
            > English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow
            > words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways
            > to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new
            > vocabulary."—James D. Nicoll, 1990, in the Usenet group
            > rec.arts.sf-lovers

          • bernip
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 29 10:10 PM
              James Nicoll also blogs regularly on Live Journal.  (His LJ handle is his name.)  He writes much of his many cats and too-frequent accidents.  He's a very witty writer (and a current Hugo nominee for best fan writer, I believe.)

              Berni

              <darrellm@...> wrote:

              > On 4/29/2011 12:48 AM, lynnmaudlin wrote:
              > > ESPECIALLY in English, of all things! English, that grand snowball rolling downhill of a language, gathering pebbles and branches and slow animals in its path...! ;)
              > >
              > > -- Lynn --
              >
              > Lynn:
              >
              > It is said that English does not borrow from other languages. It waits
              > for them to go into dark alleys, beats them up, and takes whatever it wants.

              "The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
              English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow
              words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways
              to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new
              vocabulary."—James D. Nicoll, 1990, in the Usenet group
              rec.arts.sf-lovers

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                 mythsoc-digest@yahoogroups.com
                 mythsoc-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Author of Into the Reach and Departure, available at http://tinyurl.com/aja-ebooks

            • Darrell A. Martin
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 29 10:37 PM
                On 4/29/2011 9:52 PM, Alana Abbott wrote:

                > Margaret,
                >
                > Yay, the real quote! James Nicoll is a reviewer for /Publishers
                > Weekly/ (as am I), so I was thrilled to get the back story of his quote
                > on our mailing list a few years ago. :) I'm so glad you posted the whole
                > thing.
                >
                > -Alana
                >
                > On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 9:42 PM, Margaret Dean <margdean56@...
                > <mailto:margdean56@...>> wrote:
                >
                > On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 12:12 AM, Darrell A. Martin
                > <darrellm@... <mailto:darrellm@...>> wrote:
                > >
                > > Lynn:
                > >
                > > It is said that English does not borrow from other languages.
                > > It waits for them to go into dark alleys, beats them up,
                > > and takes whatever it wants.

                >> "The problem with defending the purity of
                >> the English language is that English is
                >> about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We
                >> don't just borrow words; on occasion,
                >> English has pursued other languages down
                >> alleyways to beat them unconscious and
                >> rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
                >> —James D. Nicoll, 1990, in the Usenet
                >> group rec.arts.sf-lovers

                Yay! indeed:

                I have heard a paraphrase of this quote in about half a dozen versions,
                over the years. Hence "it is said". I'm glad to get the whole thing, and
                a source.

                Classic Usenet, with no consideration for the feelings of the poor
                cribhouse whores even in the period after it switched from the original
                clay tablets to papyrus.

                Darrell