Re: [mythsoc] Ye, you, y'all

  • Darrell A. Martin
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 28 7:00 PM
      On 4/28/2011 1:59 PM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:

      > The Pittsburghese version:
      >
      > Yinz=second person plural (alternate form: yinz guys)
      >
      > Yinz’s=second person plural possessive (alternate form: yinz guys’s)
      >
      > The second person singular may sound like “yuh” and plural “yer” because
      > of the local tendency to turn most unaccented vowels into the schwa sound.
      >
      > Can I take yinz’z car to the Giint Iggle and pick up some Iahrn City and
      > chipped ham?
      >
      > Janet

      Janet:

      Let's see how close I can get.

      - - May I take your[plural] automobile to the Giant Eagle and purchase
      some Iron City [beer] and chipped ham [allegedly digestible chemically
      processed animal tissue].

      How did I do?

      Darrell
    • dale nelson
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 29 12:48 PM
        Send Janet Reno's SWAT team to that house!  There's a little old lady with a budgie and she might be calling it her "pet"!