Re: [mythsoc] Re: Ye, you, y'all, all y'all

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 28, 2011
      > Next lesson: "What are the Southern second person possessive pronouns?"

      You can guess: all the ordinary ones, plus y'all's. What's interesting is that I've got a coworker, New Orleans born and bred, and he consistently uses y'all as both subject pronoun and possessive form. It's not just the second person either; for him the usual –'s suffix indicating possession (from the genitive) is exceedingly rare. He says things like, How was y'all weekend? Or, I read Jason essay last night. I guess this is typical of New Orleans English, but I haven't looked into it; it could just be idiolect. Either way, it's certainly distinctive!

      Y'all's,
      Jason
    • dale nelson
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 29, 2011
        Send Janet Reno's SWAT team to that house!  There's a little old lady with a budgie and she might be calling it her "pet"!