Re: [mythsoc] Ye, you, y'all

  • Darrell A. Martin
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 28 11:22 AM
      On 4/27/2011 3:46 PM, John Rateliff wrote:

      > On Apr 27, 2011, at 3:37 AM, Darrell A. Martin wrote:
      >> . . . I thought it was singular "y'all" and plural "all y'all" but
      >> that has always confused me
      >> because my native tongue is Yankee (rural New England). Now I'm
      >> confused again . . .
      >
      > You can always tell a real Southerner from someone faking a Southern
      > accent because a Southerner distinguishes between "you" (one person) and
      > "y'all" (two or more people). Those playing Southerners on tv simply use
      > "y'all" for everything because it sounds quaint.
      >
      > --JDR, one of the Arkansas Rateliffs

      John:

      Got it. It's just like those who snicker to themselves about Yankee
      "going to the party" and "going to the potty" sounding alike, when they
      are so *obviously* different.

      And, as fah as "pahk the cah in Hahvahd yahd" goes, that's just silly.
      We don't allow automobiles *in* Hahvahd yahd.

      Darrell
    • dale nelson
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 29 12:48 PM
        Send Janet Reno's SWAT team to that house!  There's a little old lady with a budgie and she might be calling it her "pet"!