Re: [mythsoc] Re: Ye, you, y'all, all y'all

  • Darrell A. Martin
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 28 10:54 AM
      On 4/28/2011 8:44 AM, IcelofAngeln wrote:
      > "I thought it was singular "y'all" and plural "all y'all""
      >
      > That seems to be a common Yankee (meant generally, as in
      > non-Southern) misconception; Hollywood gets this wrong a lot. "You"
      > is singular; "y'all" is plural (comp. Joisey and Lon Giland "youse
      > guys"). "All y'all" means "all of you," as in "Why don't all y'all
      > come on over tomorrow?"

      To recap what I believe I have learned, as just now corrected, the
      Southern second person pronouns:

      you -- singular
      both y'all -- dual
      y'all -- plural indefinite
      all y'all -- plural inclusive

      Am I still confused? Or can I cue the music for "The Rain in Spain",
      expecting to hear, "By George, I think he's got it!"?

      Next lesson: "What are the Southern second person possessive pronouns?"

      Darrell
    • dale nelson
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 29 12:48 PM
        Send Janet Reno's SWAT team to that house!  There's a little old lady with a budgie and she might be calling it her "pet"!