Re: Thou, thy/thine, thee

  • IcelofAngeln
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 28, 2011
      "I thought it was
      singular "y'all" and plural "all y'all""

      That seems to be a common Yankee (meant generally, as in non-Southern) misconception; Hollywood gets this wrong a lot. "You" is singular; "y'all" is plural (comp. Joisey and Lon Giland "youse guys"). "All y'all" means "all of you," as in "Why don't all y'all come on over tomorrow?"

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Darrell A. Martin" <darrellm@...> wrote:

      > On 4/27/2011 12:04 AM, John Rateliff wrote IN PART:
      > >
      > > Even odder, Old English used to have a special set of pronouns to
      > > indicate two persons: we-two, you-two, those-two. Lost long ago, but it
      > > wd come in handy sometimes.
      > > Luckily as a Southerner I still have access in spoken English to
      > > you-singular and you-plural: "you" and "y'all" [=you-all]
      > > --JDR
      >
      > John:
      >
      > Yes, the dual number would come in handy now and then, although I don't
      > think there was a third person "those-two" form. And, I thought it was
      > singular "y'all" and plural "all y'all" but that has always confused me
      > because my native tongue is Yankee (rural New England). Now I'm confused
      > again. Still.
      >
      > Darrell

    • dale nelson
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 29, 2011
        Send Janet Reno's SWAT team to that house!  There's a little old lady with a budgie and she might be calling it her "pet"!