Re: Thou, thee, thy, thine, you, ye, your, yours

  • lynnmaudlin
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 28, 2011
      I remember feeling truly honored when the husband of a friend who relocated to France to marry him said to me, "you may call me 'tu'," ...of course, he said it all in French. ;)

      -- Lynn --

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Darrell A. Martin" <darrellm@...> wrote:

      > On 4/27/2011 11:39 AM, IcelofAngeln wrote:
      > > In some places it still matters (or did until recently). I remember
      > > that Hans Naumann, a colleague of my father's, after working with him
      > > for about a year invited him to his home and had what amounted to a
      > > little ceremony with drinks, with which their relationship moved
      > > 'officially' to "Bill" and "Hans" instead of "Herr Major" und "Herr
      > > Fregattenkapitan," and from _Sie_ to _du_. Of course, German army
      > > officers might be a little more formal and old-fashioned than
      > > others.
      >
      > A little? You think? [grin]
      >
      > Darrell

    • dale nelson
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 29, 2011
        Send Janet Reno's SWAT team to that house!  There's a little old lady with a budgie and she might be calling it her "pet"!