ADMIN: List guideline review

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2000
      This is just a friendly reminder of the list guidelines, in particular:

      Welcome to the Mythopoeic Society listserv! This list is open to discussion
      of any topic related to the Mythopoeic Society, either of Mythopoeic works
      and authors, or of business related to the Mythopoeic Society.

      The Mythopoeic Society is a nonsectarian organization, and our
      members represent a variety of religious (and non-religious) views.
      Therefore, please keep in mind that other list members may have
      different religious views.

      Thank you!
      Joan
      List Administrator

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI and
      MNSCREENW lists
    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 31, 2000
        >> The Mythopoeic Society is a nonsectarian organization, and our
        >> members represent a variety of religious (and non-religious) views.
        >> Therefore, please keep in mind that other list members may have
        >> different religious views.
        >>
        >Dear Joan,
        >
        >Surely this does not mean that the non-confrontational expression of one's
        >OWN religious views is offensive? which is all that I have seen in the
        >recent discussion (one of the most interesting discussions I remember in
        >recent months)
        >
        >Is religion to become the Unspeakable? (though the sincerely religious
        >know,
        >I think, that it is to be spoken about cautiously, and with reticence...).

        I invite a re-reading of the guideline above. The statement:

        "Please keep in mind that other list members may have different religious
        views"

        does NOT mean: "religion is not to be discussed on this list" (such a
        guideline would be silly, considering that JRRT, CSL, and CW used religious
        themes in their works)

        it DOES mean: "remember that others on the list may not be of the same
        religion you are."

        It seems to me that such a reminder is harmless, but appropriate when
        discussions drift into the theological, especially since not all list
        members are Mythopoeic Society members, and since I have had some inquirers
        mistake the Mythsoc list for a Christian theology list. Such a statement
        clarifies the issue, I think, without imposing an undue burden on list
        members.

        Joan
        List Administrator

        Joan Marie Verba verba001@...