Edith Williams as poet

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24, 2011
      Does anyone here know more about her?  This note says this is the only widely known poem, but  that might imply that she wrote more?

      this is from a web page about a recording by an All Saints church in Beverly Hills:

      JESUS SO LOWLY

      The simple, meditative quality of Jesus, so lowly has earned it a beloved place in the American Episcopal choral repertory, and makes it one of only a few anthems by American composer Harold Friedell that is still widely sung. Friedell was distinguished in his own day as a faculty member of the Juilliard School and composition teacher at the Union Theological Seminary School of Sacred Music, in addition to holding prestigious positions as organist-choirmaster of Calvary and ultimately St. Bartholomew’s Church in New York. This strophic text set here is now the only widely known poem by Edith Williams, who was the sister of poet, novelist, theologian, and scholar Charles Williams.

      Jesus, so lowly, Child of the earth:
      Christen me wholly, bring me new birth

      Jesus, so lonely, weary and sad;
      Teach me that only Love maketh glad