Re: [mythsoc] Varieties of Greek

  • Darrell A. Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 21, 2011
      On 4/21/2011 12:36 PM, scribbler@... wrote:
      > As for the changes between ancient / NT Greek and modern Greek, when I was
      > an undergraduate, the professor I had for Greek (took a year of it - and
      > we were studying NT Greek, it apparently being the easiest access for
      > beginning students) said one of the differences is in pronunciation.
      >
      > Even though the Greeks might try and claim that there has been no
      > significant change in pronunciation in thousands of years, she said it is
      > quite obvious. In ancient Greek, sheep quite obviously say "Baa baa." In
      > Modern Greek, with the same spelling, sheep say "Vaa vaa."

      Correct: the pronunciation changes have also changed the orthography in
      the modern "official" language. The entire structure of accents has
      changed, as has breathing.

      I find I can read modern Greek, to a certain extent. Some of this may be
      because my knowledge of Biblical Koine is so bad (no joke).

      Darrell