Louis Markos's petition about The C. S. Lewis Bible

    Message 1 of 49 , Apr 16, 2011
      Here is a news stories about Louis Markos's petition about The C. S. Lewis Bible:

      Markos did a course on tape about C. S. Lewis from The Teaching Company in 2000.  There is a review of that course in this month's Mythprint, and the course has been discussed here recently.  I think that although Markos is enthusiastic about Lewis's works, sometimes he doesn't present (and perhaps doesn't understand) the difference between his own views and Lewis's.  Here's a copy of the petition that Markos sent out:

      He sent it to 1,000 people?  Can you sing, "Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam spam, spam!"?

      Of the 33 signatures to the petition, I suppose 9 might be considered C. S. Lewis scholars.  I don't know how Markos can say what the majority consensus among C. S. Lewis scholars is (or even that they have any sort of consensus view on anything).  I've bought and looked through The C. S. Lewis Bible.  I would think that, if anything, the reason some people might have problems with the book is the placement of Lewis quotes throughout it, as though Lewis's works were to be treated as a third section of the Bible, after the Old Testament and the New Testament.

      Wendell Wagner
    • lynnmaudlin
      Message 49 of 49 , Apr 21, 2011
        Diana Glyer doesn't usually take part on this list but she has taught Inklings courses as well as dedicated JRRT and CSL courses. I would think her book, The Company They Keep, might be an interesting tool in the case of an Inklings course...

        -- Lynn --