J.R.R. Tolkien Double Words and Creative Process

  • Andrew Higgins
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2011
      Just in time for my week pre Glyndebourne Festival holiday my copy of Arne Zettersten's book came thru Amazon. Nice size edition by Palgrave Macmillan with a picture of Thror's Map and an inset picture of Tolkien on the cover.

      I sneaked away from a meeting today to page through it and the very table of contents hold the promise of exciting linguistic exploration:

      Our First Meeting
      Language Behind Anything
      Like Lighting from a Clear Sky
      Middle-Earth
      From Bloemfontein to Birmingham
      From Sarehole to the Shire
      An Orphan Drawn to Reading
      Student Life in Oxford
      Soldier at the Front
      Experience of War In Tolkien's Fiction
      Research at Motor
      Interlude at Leeds
      Interplay between Research and Fiction
      A Don on a sidetrack
      The AB Language : A Unique Discovery
      Fantasy For Children and Adults
      The Final Years
      Facts and Fiction
      On the Truth of Myth
      The reception of LOTR in the media
      New Media

      Little over 200 pages and some really excellent photos of the Professor. Looks like part bio and Zettersten's experience working with Tolkien (on the editorial on the work of the Ancrene Wisse) and part essay and theory,

      I will plan to do a review of it on my blog and post - should be interesting to read as I try to absorb the genesis of Tolkien's language system as exemplified in Qenya and Goldogrin.

      Another great book for the pile!!! Looking forward to Tolkien and Wales next and then Jason Fisher's new book!!!

      Andy

      Sent from the IPAD of Andrew Higgins asthiggins@... asthiggins on Twitter
      And at his blog Wotan's Musings http://wotanselvishmusings.blogspot.com/