What's in a Middle Initial?

  • John Rateliff
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2011
      Just noticed something about a book I bought last week: LETTERS TO A DIMINISHED CHURCH by Dorothy Sayers [2004].

      That's right, "Dorothy Sayers", not Dorothy L. Sayers, which was her preferred non de plume (as opposed, say, to Dorothy S. Fleming). Despite this, her signature appears reproduced on title page with missing initial intact.

      Any idea if this was a deliberate change by the publisher (Th. Nelson), or simply a gaff? If the latter, it seems not to have been corrected, since mine (wh. I just bought as a new copy) seems to be a 5th printing from 2007.

      Apologies if this was already hashed out on the list back in '04, before I joined.

      --John D. Rateliff