Re: [mythsoc] "Merry"?

  • James P. Robinson III
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 29 6:03 AM
      Short for Meriadoc. ; )

      As the clock struck 03:07 PM 8/29/2000 +1000, Sophie Masson took pen in
      hand and wrote:
      >Short for Merlin, isn't it? and also with echoes of 'merry' England--ie
      >pre-industrial revolution, traditional magical stuff.
      >Sophie
      >Author site:
      >http://members.xoom.com/sophiecastel/default.htm

      James P. Robinson III jprobins@...

      author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with
      an attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
      given in writing.
    • James P. Robinson III
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 29 9:26 AM
        Uh, The Lord of The Rings. It is Merry Brandybuck's name.

        As the clock struck 06:13 PM 8/29/2000 -0400, ERATRIANO@... took pen in

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 29 9:34 AM
          The Behind The Name website, http://www.behindthename.com/m.html#mercy ,
          lists Merry as an English female name equivalent to Mercy or to the
          adjective merry. However, I wonder if the male form might be a diminutive
          of Meredith which derives from the Welsh Meredudd, "Great Lord" or "Sea
          Lord". It seems more likely than from Merddyn (Merlin).

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 29 9:36 AM
            Sorry, that should be Myrddin not Merddyn.

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 29 9:43 AM
              FWIW, the Babynames.com site does give Merry as a form of Meredith.

            • ERATRIANO@aol.com

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 29 3:35 PM
                  From the mind of JRRT himself. The "Merry" in Cooper's books is short for
                  Merriman.

                  Ted

                  ERATRIANO@... wrote:

                  > << Short for Meriadoc. ; ) >>
                  >
                  > Okay. And that name comes from????
                  >
                  > Lizzie

                  Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
                  Mythopoeic Literature
                  Box X041, Department of English
                  Middle Tennessee State University
                  Murfreesboro, TN 37132
                  615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
                  tsherman@...
                  tedsherman@...
                • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 29 3:42 PM
                    In a message dated 08/29/2000 6:38:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    tedsherman@... writes:

                    << From the mind of JRRT himself. The "Merry" in Cooper's books is short for
                    Merriman. >>

                    Doh! yes I realized taht later. And Merriman Lyon, I knew that as well. But
                    the other derivative arguments are tempting as well.

                    Lizzie
                  • alexeik@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 30 10:01 AM
                      In a message dated 8/29/0 10:38:52 PM, Ted Sherman wrote:

                      <<From the mind of JRRT himself. >>

                      Not at all, it's a British Celtic name. Tolkien undoubtedly got it from the
                      15th-century Cornish mystery play _Bewnans Meryasek_, where the saint's name
                      is glossed in Latin _Meriadocus_. The Welsh form would indeed be _Meriadoc_
                      (or, more properly, _Meriadog_). As Tolkien himself explains, it was an
                      attempt to show the "borderland" heritage of the Brandybucks, giving them
                      names that would have an exotic "Celtic" flavour to English-speakers' ears.
                      Alexei