Re: [mythsoc] Joseph Pearce on Tolkien

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 53 , Apr 9 4:02 PM
      Berni,
      I agree with your second paragraph.

      A similar video on C.S. Lewis came to me when I was teaching Tolkien and fantasy, around ‘94.  It will go nameless because I can’t remember the blooming name: “C.S. Lewis: Something of Something.”

      The talking heads were some of my favorite folks, the biographical bits were okay, but the whole effort was Protestant Procrustean: an attempt to say Lewis was Evangelical / Southern Baptist.  It was a teaching tool, but less about the Lewis than the agenda of the producers.

      Ditto Joseph Pearce and EWTN.

      Mike

      Message 53 of 53 , Apr 12 10:39 AM
        Jason:

        I think your objection to Pearce, in that he did not mention Tolkien's
        disavowal of something he (Pearce) stated as a fact, is on target. My
        own focus -- which is why I early on changed the Subject line to remove
        Pearce -- was on whether or not Tolkien's disavowal was definitive.

        Darrell