Re: Tolkien Studies: an ANNOUNCEMENT

  • not_thou
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2 9:17 AM
      Thanks very much, David!

      As it happens, my whole fifth grade class learned to recite the U.S. presidents in order, because the music teacher, Mrs. Nary, had us memorize the "Presidential Boogie" (music and lyrics by Roger Lentz).

      Regarding forests and trees, typographical errors typically go unmentioned in the "Year's Work", but a few I encountered were amusing enough to share, so I'll note them here instead (without attribution):

      1. "Even the O have a complex history". (That "O" would be "Orcs".)

      2. Tom Shippey wrote a 1985 article called "Board and Anger". (It's actually called "Boar and Badger".)

      3. Tolkien drew an emblem for the "Flying Corpse" of Mordor. (The phrase he really used was "Flying Corps" -- but given that it refers to the Ringwraiths, the typo almost works.)

      -Merlin

      --- "David Bratman" <dbratman@...> wrote:
      > "The Year's Work in Tolkien Studies 2008," which has been
      > occupying most of my time and concern for the last couple
      > of months, has been turned in to the publisher. Volume 8
      > of Tolkien Studies: An Annual Scholarly Review, that
      > hardbound journal which has been running my Year's Work
      > pieces, will be out this summer....
    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4 8:55 AM
        Congratulations, Merlin! I can think of no better partner in crime for David on "The Year's Work" than you. :)

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4 9:02 AM
          Likewise, Merlin and David.  Enjoy your fellowship.  “The Year’s Work in Tolkien Studies” is usually the first section I turn to.

          Mike

          Sent: Monday, April 04, 2011 10:55 AM
          Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien Studies: an ANNOUNCEMENT

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 5 3:05 AM
            Irrational endearments are a good thing-- I'm especially fond of Merlin because he makes an excellent singing-dancing music stand ;)

            Congrats, you young whippersnapper!!

            -- Lynn --