Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien Studies: an ANNOUNCEMENT

  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2011
      Good choice!  Congratulations to Merlin too!
      --
      Larry Swain

      On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 11:14 -0700, "David Bratman" <dbratman@...> wrote:

      "The Year's Work in Tolkien Studies 2008," which has been occupying most of
      my time and concern for the last couple of months, has been turned in to the
      publisher. Volume 8 of Tolkien Studies: An Annual Scholarly Review, that
      hardbound journal which has been running my Year's Work pieces, will be out
      this summer.

      And so it seems time to make a public announcement on the subject.

      No, I'm not quitting the gig, or disappearing off to Rivendell.

      But because I've been doing this for seven years now, and because the 2008
      coverage was exceptionally large (that being the year that the
      nearly-hundred-paper Proceedings of the Tolkien Society's 2005 Birmingham
      conference was published), I have taken on a collaborator.

      My colleague is Merlin DeTardo, known I think mostly on Tolkien BBs online,
      but known to me for reviews and other pieces that suggested - accurately, as
      it turned out - that of the "younger" or "newer" (or whatever less
      condescending word you want to suggest) Tolkien scholars, he particularly
      combines the necessary breadth and depth of knowledge in Tolkien to evaluate
      intelligently the mass of scholarship. He also has the surprisingly rare
      ability to count the trees without losing track of the forest.

      Further, he is the only person I've ever met who can name all the Presidents
      of the United States faster than I can. This has irrationally endeared him
      to me.

      We split the subtopics of the Year's Work between us, half to each. The
      results of our labors - 223 works summarized and discussed, 24,000 words -
      will be out ... this summer.

    • not_thou
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2011
        Thanks very much, David!

        As it happens, my whole fifth grade class learned to recite the U.S. presidents in order, because the music teacher, Mrs. Nary, had us memorize the "Presidential Boogie" (music and lyrics by Roger Lentz).

        Regarding forests and trees, typographical errors typically go unmentioned in the "Year's Work", but a few I encountered were amusing enough to share, so I'll note them here instead (without attribution):

        1. "Even the O have a complex history". (That "O" would be "Orcs".)

        2. Tom Shippey wrote a 1985 article called "Board and Anger". (It's actually called "Boar and Badger".)

        3. Tolkien drew an emblem for the "Flying Corpse" of Mordor. (The phrase he really used was "Flying Corps" -- but given that it refers to the Ringwraiths, the typo almost works.)

        -Merlin

        --- "David Bratman" <dbratman@...> wrote:
        > "The Year's Work in Tolkien Studies 2008," which has been
        > occupying most of my time and concern for the last couple
        > of months, has been turned in to the publisher. Volume 8
        > of Tolkien Studies: An Annual Scholarly Review, that
        > hardbound journal which has been running my Year's Work
        > pieces, will be out this summer....
      • Jason Fisher
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 2011
          Congratulations, Merlin! I can think of no better partner in crime for David on "The Year's Work" than you. :)

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4, 2011
            Likewise, Merlin and David.  Enjoy your fellowship.  “The Year’s Work in Tolkien Studies” is usually the first section I turn to.

            Mike

            Sent: Monday, April 04, 2011 10:55 AM
            Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien Studies: an ANNOUNCEMENT

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 5, 2011
              Irrational endearments are a good thing-- I'm especially fond of Merlin because he makes an excellent singing-dancing music stand ;)

              Congrats, you young whippersnapper!!

              -- Lynn --