Jadis Question

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
      Further quoted in Narniaweb:

      Hillary Uss went on to elaborate on the character of Jadis. “We’re beginning to look for actresses who would be willing to play such a sinister character,” she said. “Tilda Swinton is a brilliant actress, but many fans of the book seem to be getting angry with her involvement in the films, and have been slapping the floor in frustration at seeing her in Prince Caspian and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. We must also face the fact that Tilda has aged considerably since the filming of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. For these reasons, Fox thought that it might be better to remove her from any future films.”

      But wouldn't fans prefer to see the same actress playing the same character?  Personally, I thought the film-makers were really quite clever to work Swenson into the other films in actually appropriate ways.   (Well, I've not seen VOYAGE, but I gather that she was Edmund's vision near Nightmare Island (or whatever it's called).  You'd think that they'd want to take advantage of this actress and the relatively small amount of continuity that she'd bring.  As for "aging"--why do they have make-up and costuming awards in motion pictures?  And she's already centuries or maybe even millennia old when the children first meet her-- Anybody else wonder if perhaps Swenson said "no" or wants too much money?  In subsequent comment, this spokesperson makes clear that what MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW is really about is the evils of bullying.  So they want a younger actress to portray this.   (??!!!!)

      “This film will really help modern teenagers see just how bad bullying can be, and just how big of a threat that bullies can pose.” --Hillary Uss, as quoted on NarniaWeb.

      Personally, I think most teenagers do see this already.  But, maybe what they sometimes miss is seeing themselves in the role of the bully.  Digory bullying Polly would possibly be a better illustration than evil enchanters bullying helpless and innocent children.

      David Lenander
      2095 Hamline Ave. N.
      Roseville, MN 55113

      651-292-8887

    • Kathleen Lamantia
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
        I have not been following any of this in the press, so I may be way off base, and very far behind.  Please excuse me if so.

        If "fans of the book" have been unhappy with her appearance in PC and VOTD, it may be because she does not appear in the books, and those fans would like the films to remain closer to the original stories.  It may have nothing to do with Ms. Swinton at all.

        Furthermore, if the movie-makers believe the The Magician's Nephew is about bullying, I despair of the entire enterprise.  I have thought since the first film that they do not trust Lewis' stories to have enough power on their own to retain an audience.  That's why they insist on mucking them up with extraneous and erroneous (in my opinion) additions, etc.

        Lewis wrote Narnia as he envisioned it and wished it to be.  He had a clarity of vision and such immense talent as a tale-teller that nothing added is necessary.  But if you can't hear the horn of Elfland, then it's no surprise you think they need tarting up.  Sigh!

        Kathy

        To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
          Kathleen Lamantia writes:
          >I have not been following any of this in the press, so I may be way off base, and very far behind. Please excuse me if so.

          It's an April Fools joke.

          >Further quoted in Narniaweb:
          >

          >Hillary Uss went on to elaborate on the character of Jadis.

          Hillary Uss isn't a real person. Say it out loud and you'll get it.

          --
          Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "Release the tera- |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
          --^--port patents...and drop everything into the public /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
            Oh dear, oh dear! I knew I should have heeded the instinct that said, "are you SURE you want to post that?"  This just proves that I have been, as I suspected, working way too hard.  I had put the post on my list of tasks for the day, did it, and went right on to the next.  Certainly proves one should think before writing!

            Embarassedly yours,
            Kathy

            To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
            From: mneme@...