Another "Inklings" novel

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2011
      Many people have been guessing that David Downing's Looking for the King was just the first of many Inklings novels to come from Ignatius Press. So it would seem. I have just heard from them about a new one, published March 1, 2011. Toward the Gleam, by T.M. Doran (formerly an adjunct professor of engineering), was described to me via email thus: "The main character in Toward the Gleam is based on J.R.R. Tolkien. A character that is based on C.S. Lewis is also in the book. It is a wonderful, fast-paced mystery story [...]."

      Prompted by this email, I found a page with more details on the Ignatius Press website:

      One thing I notice is that this novel is much longer than Looking for the King. It also appears that the Tolkien and Lewis names are not being used. If the characters are based on them, then this author is at least taking a more circumspect route. The novel does not call itself an "Inklings novel" here, but the publicist from Ignatius did so. Another thing I notice is that the plot sounds familiar. In fact, I'm getting a strong feeling of deja vu here. Such a strong feeling that I thought this might have been discussed here already, but I couldn't find anything on a quick search. Anyone else?

      I have requested a review copy. Anyone who is interested, please let me know.

      Best,
      Jason
    • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 30, 2011
        Having read the Downing, I'd be interested in reading this one as well.
        Even without knowing the basic shape of the plot.

        Sarah.