Re: [mythsoc] Article about Sendak's _Hobbit_

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 28 9:51 PM
      I like Sendak's earlier work (and this is a bit of throwback in his style even for 1967), and I think it's a charming illustration despite the textual problems that have been pointed out with it. I consider it unfortunate that there was no opportunity to persuade Sendak to be a little more faithful to the book and get on with the whole project. (He should not have done LOTR, though, as the article suggested he should. A very different story, and not appropriate for this style of illustration.)
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 29 4:08 AM
        I like Sendak's earlier work (and this is a bit of throwback in his style even for 1967), and I think it's a charming illustration despite the textual problems that have been pointed out with it.

        It would have been interesting to see a Sendak-illustrated Hobbit. I too admire his earlier work - Christina and I have many of his books, and most of the literature about him.

        I consider it unfortunate that there was no opportunity to persuade Sendak to be a little more faithful to the book and get on with the whole project.

        I'm sure that this would have happened, if not for Sendak's massive heart attack in May 1967. Tolkien's unhappiness with the sample drawing wouldn't have killed the project outright.

        Wayne
      • Wayne G. Hammond
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 29 5:17 AM
          We wrote:

          But the correspondence between Houghton Mifflin and Allen & Unwin in January-February 1937

          That is, 1967.

          Wayne & Christina