Harold Bloom on Tolkien

  • John Rateliff
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2011
      Does anyone know offhand if there's any difference between the two different editions (2000 and 2008) of Harold Bloom's THE LORD OF THE RINGS, part of Chelsea House's MODERN CRITICAL INTERPRETATIONS series, aside from the two different covers? I cant find a table of contents for either and so don't know if anything was added (or dropped) for the second editon.

      --John R.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2011
        John Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:
        >Does anyone know offhand if there's any difference
        >between the two different editions (2000 and 2008)
        >of Harold Bloom's THE LORD OF THE RINGS, part of
        >Chelsea House's MODERN CRITICAL INTERPRETATIONS
        >series, aside from the two different covers? I
        >cant find a table of contents for either and so
        >don't know if anything was added (or dropped)
        >for the second editon.

        They're both completely different, aside from Bloom's introductions.

        I copied it all out when I was checking them over for the Year's Work in Tolkien Studies (the following did not make it into the article):

        J.R.R. Tolkien (2000)
        Thomas J. Gasque, “Tolkien: The Monsters and the Critters” (Isaacs & Zimbardo, 1968)
        Paul H. Kocher, “Cosmic Order” (Master of Middle-earth, 1972)
        Roger Sale, “Tolkien and Frodo Baggins” (Modern Heroism, 1973)
        Daniel Grotta-Kurska, “The Author (1953-1965)” (Architect, 1976)
        Timothy R. O’Neill, “The Individuated Hobbit” (from the same title, 1979)
        Anne C. Petty, “Tolkien’s Prelude” (One Ring to Bind them All, 1979)
        Paul H. Kocher, “A Mythology for England” (Reader’s Guide to the Silmarillion, 1980)
        Neil D. Isaacs, “On the Need for Writing Tolkien Criticism” (Isaacs & Zimbardo 2, 1981)
        T.A. Shippey, “Lit. and Lang.” (Road to Middle-earth, 1982)
        Richard L. Purtill, “Myth and Story” (Myth Modernity & Religion, 1984)

        J.R.R. Tolkien, new edition (2008)
        Charles A. Huttar, “Tolkien, Epic Traditions, and Golden Age Myths” (Filmer 20C Fantasists, 1992)
        David & Carol D. Stevens, “The Hobbit” (The Art of the Mythmaker, 1992)
        William H. Green, “Bilbo’s Adventures in Wilderland” (Journey into Maturity, 1995)
        George Clark, J.R.R. Tolkien and the True Hero” (Clark & Timmons, 2000)
        Jane Chance, “The King under the Mountain” (Tolkien’s Art, 2001)
        Jorge J.E. Gracia, “The Quests of Sam and Gollum for the Happy Life” (LOTR & Philosophy, 2003)
        Brian Rosebury, “Tolkien in the History of Ideas” (Cultural Phenomenon, 2003)
        Verlyn Flieger, “An Unfinished Symphony” (Interrupted Muse, 2005)
        Marjorie Burns, “Skin-Changing in More than One Sense” (Perilous Realms, 2005)
        John C. Hunter, “The Evidence of Things Not Seen:” (J Modern Lit, 2006)

        J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings (2000)
        Hugh T. Keenan, “The Appeal of LOTR” (Isaacs & Zimbardo, 1968)
        Burton Raffel, “LOTR as Literature” (Isaacs & Zimbardo, 1968)
        Randel Helms, “Frodo Anti-Faust” (Tolkien’s World, 1974)
        Humphrey Carpenter, “1925-1949 (ii): The Third Age” (Biography, 1977)
        Jane Chance, “LOTR: Tolkien’s Epic” (Tolkien’s Art, 1979)
        Jared Lobdell, “Defining LOTR: An Adventure Story in the Edwardian Mode” (England & Always, 1981)
        David L. Jeffrey, “Recovery: Name in LOTR” (Isaacs & Zimbardo 2, 1981)
        Rose A. Zimbardo, “The Medieval-Renaissance Vision of LOTR” (Isaacs & Zimbardo 2, 1981)
        Kathryn W. Crabbe, “The Quest as Legend” (Crabbe 2, 1988)

        J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, new edition (2008)
        Michael Moorcock, “Epic Pooh” (Wizardry and Wild Romance, 1987)
        Jane Chance, “‘Queer’ Hobbits: The Problem of Difference in the Shire” (LOTR: The Mythology of Power, 2001)
        Michael N. Stanton, “Mind, Spirit, and Dream in LOTR” (Hobbits Elves & Wizards, 2001)
        Mark T. Hooker, “Frodo’s Batman” (TS 1)
        Jared Lobdell, “In the Far Northwest of the Old World” (World of the Rings, 2004)
        Marjorie Burns, “Spiders and Evil Red Eyes” (Perilous Realms, 2005)
        Andrew Lynch, “Archaism, Nostalgia, and Tennysonian War in LOTR” (Chance & Stiewers, 2005)
        Sue Zlotnik, “Gothic Echoes” (Eaglestone, 2005)
        Verlyn Flieger, “Tolkien and the Idea of the Book” (Blackwelder, 2006)
        Mary R. Bowman, “The Story Was Already Written” (Narrative [journal], 2006)
        Nancy Enright, “Tolkien’s Females and the Defining of Power” (Renascence [journal], 2007)
      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2011
          Thanks so much, David.

          Mike

          Sent: Monday, March 28, 2011 5:48 PM
          Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Harold Bloom on Tolkien

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 28, 2011
            Thanks David; that's just what I wanted to know. Suspected he may have swapped out an essay or two, but had no idea they were essentially two different books with the same title.
            --JDR

            P.S.: The inclusion of Moorcock says a lot, doesn't it?