RE: [mythsoc] Diana Wynne Jones

  • bernip
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 27, 2011
      It sounds like someone (who is not me, as I'm not that conversant with her
      work) should write up an article for Mythprint and send it to Jason. Any
      takers? I'll bet a lot of us would like to read it.

      Berni

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 27, 2011
          I only met Ms. Jones once or twice--I think she was at a local con (was it WFC? 4th Street? Minicon?), and maybe we had a Rivendell discussion that she might have been at, but I did hear her speak at the Children's Literature Research Collections for sure.

          She was extremely nice and told the funniest stories, I still repeat one fairly often about the "rewriting" that she did for her editor on _Charmed Life_.  She signed my copy.  I still love that book about as well as any, though I think her best is _The Spellcoats_, and _Drowned Ammet_ is nearly as good, and _Archer's Goon_, and _Dogsbody_, and _Howl's Moving Castle_, and _Fire and Hemlock_--which is her most ambitious book, but which I don't think quite works.  Her latest book, I hope it's not the last in the pipeline, but maybe it is, is _Enchanted Glass_, and I read it pretty much in one sitting, yesterday.  I liked it a lot.  It's a bit more for the younger reader than some of the others that I mentioned, which I liked, but somehow doesn't reach the mythopoeic resonance of _Dogsbody_.  It does have a dog--well ... a were-dog, and a boy, and if it's the last DWJ we're to have, it's a fine book to go out on.  Read it and her others.

          I was surprised at how saddened that learning of her death left me feeling.  After all, I'd barely met her, and as much as I loved many of her books, I'd heard of her discontinuing her chemotherapy quite some time back.  So this wasn't a surprise. In _Enchanted Glass_ her chief protagonist, the boy, Aidan, has to deal with grief over his grandmother's death, and there's  a little discussion among several characters about loss and grief, I couldn't help thinking of all the people who seemed to love Diana Wynne Jones so well, a couple of them, also writers like Jane Yolen and Neil Gaiman and Emma Bull have written in the last 24 hours or so.  As we age, we have more and more such losses and grief, and certainly a part of life is learning how to go on living after these losses--even where we don't "get over" grief, which really lurks around and can suddenly be as sharp as ever, decades later.  I've always thought of this experience as lurking in a silverware drawer, when you reach in for a fork and get stabbed unexpectedly by a knife (or a fork, I guess).  She actually used the metaphor of a cup in the cupboard in this book.  What a wise woman and writer she was.  I'm glad that she's left us so much of her wisdom in her books.

          David Lenander
          2095 Hamline Ave. N.
          Roseville, MN 55113
          651-292-8887  or 651-697-1807
          Gwnewch y pethau bychain mewn bywyd

        • Jo Foster
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 27, 2011

            Has everyone seen this from Neil Gaiman?

            http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2011/03/being-alive.html

            __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5991 (20110328) __________

            http://www.eset.com
          • lynnmaudlin